CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have received two 3TB HDD's that have been DOA when I got them. The Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB seemed to start up but was very loud and vibrated a lot - when I tried formatting it in Windows 7 Disk Management it failed. Failed to show up in BIOS after that too.

The Seagate Baraccuda 7200RPM showed up under Disk Utility in ML but when I tried to format it "MBR" was a grayed out option. It produced some errors using a SeaTools check on Windows. When it is plugged in during boot up it would freeze the Gigabyte splash screen. Tired multiple connectors without the boot drive SSD plugged in too.

Does anybody know if 3TB HDD's have any issues with Hackintosh setups? Or is it just bad luck with two DOA's in a row? I am now getting a third 3TB drive under RMA and want to know if there is anything I should do before formatting it? I am planning on formatting it to exFAT because it will allow me to use it as a media drive with read/write between PC and Mac.

U cannot format a large drive with MBR is my understanding. You need to use GPT. If your hardware is physically damaged, no OS will be able to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back