Contribute
Register

3970x i7 - can only boot with cpus=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (Intel X79)
CPU
Intel Core i7 3970X Extreme (6 x 3.5 GHZ) (Overclocked to 4.4 Ghz)
Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 5870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok here's my situation:

I bought a 4930k processor to use with my GA-X79-UP4 and then realised its not supported. I couldn't get it to boot at all.

I have 4 other hackintoshes running 3970X i7's with no hassle. So I bought the older 3970x and replaced the 4930k in this new build, expecting just to plug in a hard drive from a working hack and all would work. NOPE :(

The machines are absolutely identical - only difference is that the new build bios screen looks a little different in it's design.

The only way I can boot on this new build (now with the 3970k chip) is with cpus=1 boot flag.

I've search around and seen lots of posts about using this http://www.osx86.net/files/file/972-mach-kernel-lapic-cpus-1-fix-for-ml/ to patch something.

I really don't know how to patch it - i'm a bit of a noob with that stuff. I tried installing chameleon SVG but that stopped the hard drive from booting at all, so I'm currently re-cloning the drive to try again.

I tried installing the i7 overclock multibeast and reinstalling chi era boot loader - nothing works.

Can anyone help me please?

Could it be remembering the old CPU's settings or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back