Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
i3-2350M
Graphics
HD 3000
Looking into using what I have, but the PSU may not have enough juice!

Antec 380 watt (green series) 80 plus bronze

GA-P67A-UD3 B3 rev. ?
Asus ENGTX 460 768 mb
intel core i5 2500k
Adata 64 GB SSD
DVD/DL drive
2 sticks PNY 1.5v RAM = 8GB
2 80 mm fans

I realize I am not taking advantage of all this system has to offer with this power supply, but will it even work?

I plan on upgrading the PSU this fall and that's when I'll add some more internal TBs, ram, overclock. But for the time being I was hoping to get away with a super power efficient/ upgradable machine. I plugged in the rec. voltage to a PSU estimator site (cant remember which one). and it said minimum 320 watts for above system and recommended 380.

Does anyone know if Asus or Nvidia is known to overstate needed Power for card?

Thanks in advance!

Well it depends i would say IMHO. I had a 400W Good seasonic PSU but it gave me trouble in the end and burned. ATI suggested 550W (i think) for use of my card but it still worked... for a while. If you have a good brand and model of PSU it's maybe worth a shot but it sounds a bit low.

i would not use that power supply.... its not intended for use with your hardware.... in the event that your going to try it anyway, you may need to add an adapter or two for your gpu.. seriously reconsider though you may damage your hardware. Besides new power supply is fairly cheap in price considering what you can damage in your rig...

It's generally a good practice to run anywhere between 100 and 200W over what you actually need. PSUs are typically rated higher than what they can actually handle, so if your build takes 380W, for example, and you have a 380W PSU it's quite likely going to burn out quickly (or just outright fail).

The PSU is the one component you do not want to skimp out on. The lowest rating I'll ever go on my builds (with exception to HTPC type things) is 450W. As stated before, select quality brands if you can. I personally like Corsair PSUs, which are rebranded Seasonic PSUs with a nice black paint job.

atleast CORSAIR CX500 :)

An i5-2600k overclocked draws about 170 watts at the wall, or around 150 DC. That is with a typical graphics card idle. While gaming, you will need to add for the graphics card under load. For a 460, that is another 120 watts at the wall. That puts total DC at around 240 watts, which should be within range. Also look at an ATI 6850, which performs a bit better on games than the 460, but uses around 20 watts less power.

Since you already have the PSU, see what happens. If it burns out, get something else.

I think that's not enough power.

Try this:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

As far as the video card, I'd suggest you go with a Radeon over the 460 (or go for the 470). I eventually ditched my 460 as I was getting mystery KPs at least 1x a day and it seems that the 460 chipset has what is known as the "fermi freeze" and I don't think there's a fix still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back