Intel i7 8700K
Graphics
Evga GTX 1050
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,

I just finished my first build and am trying to move my data from my old computer to my new, I installed my old time machine HDD into my new via an open SATA port (also tried an external USB HDD enclosure). It is showing up in the BIOS but not in OS X (when I use it with my old computer it works fine). The drive is formatted as Mac OSX Journaled and shows up no problem on my Mac Mini mid 2011, 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 10.11.6 El capitan . I am truly stumped, I have been able to find solutions for all the other hardware issues I've dealt with while building this I didn't think simple data transfer would be my downfall.

Hi All,

I just finished my first build and am trying to move my data from my old computer to my new, I installed my old time machine HDD into my new via an open SATA port (also tried an external USB HDD enclosure). It is showing up in the BIOS but not in OS X (when I use it with my old computer it works fine). The drive is formatted as Mac OSX Journaled and shows up no problem on my Mac Mini mid 2011, 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 10.11.6 El capitan . I am truly stumped, I have been able to find solutions for all the other hardware issues I've dealt with while building this I didn't think simple data transfer would be my downfall.
I have a similar problem. Upon updating to High Sierra, my 3TB time machine hard drive will not mount. I can see the drive in Disk Utility and in Terminal, but it will not mount. I did not have this drive plugged in when I updated the system. Also I am using the new Apple File System on my system drive. My 2x500 GB Raid 0 works fine and was also unplugged during the upgrade. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Upon updating to High Sierra, my 3TB time machine hard drive will not mount. I can see the drive in Disk Utility and in Terminal, but it will not mount.
Certain SATA controllers have issues with AppleAHCIPort v329 (eg ICH10, 5 series, 7 series, ASMedia 1061)
Disks may fail to initialize, not readable or hot plug may fail.

See [Solved] Problem: HDD not supported and try new ICH patch.
Or see [Solved] Drives not showing up in installer "Disk I/O error" and try Apple AHCIPort.kext v328.

Note: AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 will only work if installed in /Library/Extensions and using a kext installer like KextBeast.

This is probably causing another issue with my build. I use a Raid 0 drive (two Crucial MX-series 500GB SSD's) as my home directory. When I try to access the drive, like launching an app from Home/Downloads or copying a file from /Home/Downloads to /SystemDrive/Applications, Finder hangs and it's beachball city. I have to re-boot. My Home directory is basically unusable.

I realize that I am using an antique system, and High Sierra is probably the last OS update that i will be able to run. Until I get a new MB, Processor and RAM, I would like to get this thing running. Thanks for your suggestion!

Thanks. This fix worked well. I booted up, created an Admin user with administrator privileges, shut down the system, unplugged all the drives except the boot drive, rebooted and logged in as Admin. This allowed me to download files and work without the raid set crashing my system. I installed AppleAHCIPort.kext v328 with kext beast and rebooted back into Admin again. Everything looked good, so I shut down, plugged in my drives, and booted up into my personal account, and everything looks good. The raid 0 works fine. The system seems slow launching apps, but I'll worry about that another day. I also reset permissions on the raid 0 to make sure I was covered for both my user account and the Admin account.

Thanks again for helping me with this issue.

Also, the 3TB HDD is working. I had to reformat and set it up for time machine, but it is working fine. Lost all of my old backups but that is not such a big deal on this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back