4. LC
  5. Performa
  6. Plus
  7. Power Mac
  8. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi peeps,

For a while now I have been looking into options to replace my current Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R / Intel Xeon W3680 / GTX 970
setup, which has been serving me pretty decent since 2012 (swapped a GPU here and there, but apart from that not many upgrades overtime). A few months ago I had to step back from Sierra to Yosemite because the X58A was giving Sierra a hard time, or vice versa.

I'm using my current rig for professional graphic design (the usual suspects AI & PS etc) and motion graphics (After Effects and some Cinema 4D) whereas I'll be needing some extra oompf on the motiongraphics front. Given the fact that Nvidia is most likely going to support the 1070 and 1080 (ti) cards any time soon *yeah!*, I'll go for either one (to be decided).

The GA-X58A-UD3R / Intel Xeon W3680 / GTX 970 is touching the 12K multiscore GB mark (running 10.10.5), I'm really looking to (about) double that score. Taking in account the amount of boost a 10** card will provide on the CUDA front.

Anyone here with similar wishes/demands/purpose who can help me choose a semi sturdy power-Build/MoBo and CPU?

I have been drooling over the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...50x-128gb-g-skill-tridentz-gtx-980-ti.211621/ build, but the CPU alone will cost €1500, it might be worth the gamble tho. So I might use it as a primer/base. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Go with the I7-6900K instead and save about 500 Euro. For your programs the 1070 by Nvidia should do an adequate job for a lot less money than a 1080 Ti. A build like this will perform many times faster than your current X58 system.

Go with the I7-6900K instead and save about 500 Euro. For your programs the 1070 by Nvidia should do an adequate job for a lot less money than a 1080 Ti. A build like this will perform many times faster than your current X58 system.

Thanks for thinking along. I've been looking into that CPU, but 'unfortunately' After Effects (CC 2017) doesn't support hyper threading anymore, so no real gain there. The pure 'power' now has to derive from disk/scratch caching and GPU i.e. CUDA power.

I'm now leaning towards an i7-6850K and 1080 ti.

But when I've done all my numbercrunching and the results look bright I might whip up the extra €500 for that 6900K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back