1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello. The short version of my question is:

I've got two matching Gigabyte GPU's but Lexmark shows one as 'AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine', but the other one as 'AMD Radeon HD 7950 Compute Engine'. They have different Device IDs too - the second GPU has a 1002 679A device ID too.

Is it possible that the second unit (secondhand from eBay) has been reflashed? It's nothing I've done, so what can I do to get it back to 'AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine' and reset it's device ID.

Do I need a windows machine to fix it?
TIA

Now the long version:

I've just bought a second GPU from eBay and to keep things simple I decided to get an exact match of my existing unit.
So I now have 2x 'Gigabyte GV-R28XOC-3GD Rev 2.0'. LuxMark 3.1 reports both cards present, testing individually they get typical scores 12000 and together they score around 23000 so that's fine.

As usual LuxMark reports my original card as 'AMD Radeon HD Tahiti XT Prototype Compute Engine', but the GPU I've just bought secondhand is shown as 'AMD Radeon HD 7950 Compute Engine'. In OSX system report the cards are both shown as 'AMD Radeon HD 7xxx'. However the device

I bought this second card to speed up Final Cut Pro rendering and so I can start to work faster in 4K.
A good rendering benchmark for FCPX is BruceX and I've found in the past that my single GPU setup is getting good speeds compared to other 280x configurations. But now that I've added the second GPU the speeds are unchanged.

FCPX needs matching cards to utilise them both, so is it possible that it's seeing the names that LuxMark is seeing and not using both cards?

I've tried for a week to register at the netkas forum with no luck, so I'm hoping that someone here knows about flashing GPU BIOS. The 280x has dual BIOS so I tried switching on the second GPU but it's made no difference.

Thanks.

I've already spoken with the seller about the issue. It was only £85 so I want to keep it and fix it. Any advice on what I should try first will be great. I don't personally have a windows machine, I suppose I could add a temporary Windows SSD to one of my Hackintoshes although I'm not sure what version of Windows I need just yet, or where to get it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back