RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can someone please provide some advice.

I am in the process of building a photo/video editing Hackintosh. I currently have 2 x 280 x that I use for gaming and want to use those.

Do you have to crossfire them the same as in Windows or do I remove the crossfire bridge for the Hackintosh ?

Thanks

Can someone please provide some advice.

I am in the process of building a photo/video editing Hackintosh. I currently have 2 x 280 x that I use for gaming and want to use those.

Do you have to crossfire them the same as in Windows or do I remove the crossfire bridge for the Hackintosh ?

Thanks

You can leave the bridge in or take it out - makes no difference as OS X doesn't support crossfire or SLI and sees the GPUs as discrete units.

Thanks a million. Off to my build.

Build went off without any glitches.

Older Z77 V-LK Board
I5 2500 K
Hyper 212 cooling
256 SX900 SSD
1 TB HDD
2 x 280X Asus video card.
2 x 8gb Gskill Ram
Mavericks

Installed Boot Up from EFI posted here.
Cards work Out of Box.
Videocards Luxmar score 4687

Thanks tonymacx86

Wait a second. Crossfire isn't supported yet I'm seeing many, many builds where benchmarks are showing that dual 280x cards improve FCPx/Luxmark scores:

http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/ (see comments)

So, what's the deal? They aren't supported but they work? Considering dual asus 280x for FCPx editing.

Quick edit: Maybe I'm not understanding how FCPx delegates jobs to GPUs. If they are seen as two discrete cards, FCPx doesn't care if they are linked? Is that the right reasoning?

Short answer - dual (or triple) identical AMD type cards work on FCPX.

Long answer - FCPX can take advantage of most AMD cards for rendering purposes. It doesn't appear to work very well with nVidia cards. FCPX doesn't use Crossfire but recognises the GPU's and offloads tasks to them. Having another non-identical architecture graphics card in the mix, e.g. On board graphics cards can screw this up and your rendering speed goes down to veerrrrrrrry slow. YMMV. I am told that a 280x and 5770 could also work but can't confirm. I can confirm that nVidia doesn't work well with FCPX.

I use 2x5770 cards and hit 32 seconds on the benchmark below. Not bad for £100 worth of graphics cards. Dual 280x appears to work but I can't afford them so have not tested them.

rob

Wait a second. Crossfire isn't supported yet I'm seeing many, many builds where benchmarks are showing that dual 280x cards improve FCPx/Luxmark scores:

http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/ (see comments)

So, what's the deal? They aren't supported but they work? Considering dual asus 280x for FCPx editing.

Quick edit: Maybe I'm not understanding how FCPx delegates jobs to GPUs. If they are seen as two discrete cards, FCPx doesn't care if they are linked? Is that the right reasoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back