Contribute
Register

280X 6GB freezing the system. 280X 3GB works fine!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys, I recently switched to 280X 3GB and had a good improvement with FinalCut over my Nvidia card.
I noticed that the vram memory usage is usually maxed out with 4K footage, so I purchased a 6GB version of the 280X. Both cards show up as "AMD Radeon HD 7xxx" one with 3GB the other with 6GB RAM.

The 6GB 280X runs just find with Cinebench (open GL), Unigen Heaven, web browsing, ect. but as soon as I launch Final Cut and open a project The whole system freezes and my screen shuts off.

I've tried different system definitions and it doesn't help. I'm runing Yosemite 10.10.5 (mulibeast) with latest Final cut. I have integrated graphics enabled with boot set to IGFX and the system switches to the 280X when I hit the login menu.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and is there a fix?

Thanks, Max.

Thanks! I leant out my USB with Yosemite and Multibeats, Downloading Yosemite again to make a USB then I will try to do the EFI. Hopefully it should fix 2 of my problems :) (using 6GB 280X and using dual 280X 3GB)

I started doing the EFI process yesterday but didn't have the USB so couldn't finish it. Hope to get it running today.

I don't think the EFI partiton stuff will change anything, booting with iGPU=Primary does the same (=> avoids glitch in Chimera/Chameleon).

Are you using both cards at the same time? Maybe this is causing your problem?

Besides that, I'd try to inject a framebuffer (usually Hamachi), maybe that will change anything. Note that this might disable some ports of your card in OS X if it isn't a reference design.

Last thing to try would be cross-flashing the vBIOS of another 6GB 280X (be sure to keep a backup of yours!).

I don't think the EFI partiton stuff will change anything, booting with iGPU=Primary does the same (=> avoids glitch in Chimera/Chameleon).

Are you using both cards at the same time? Maybe this is causing your problem?

Besides that, I'd try to inject a framebuffer (usually Hamachi), maybe that will change anything. Note that this might disable some ports of your card in OS X if it isn't a reference design.

Last thing to try would be cross-flashing the vBIOS of another 6GB 280X (be sure to keep a backup of yours!).

You don't say which 280X card you have, the Sapphire 280X will work from the install with no problems at all. I have the 3GB 280X and it works OK. You can install with dual Sapphire 3GB 280X cards from the start as well.

My suggestion would be to start with the Internal Graphics adaptor and get that working with OS X. That gets you back to a common starting point that many people has.

Then install the 3GB 280X once you have the Internal Graphics working. No changes should be needed. Leave the Internal Graphics enabled so you can check that the 280X does work OK. Do you have two monitors? Makes life a lot easier if you do :)

Once you know the 280X works (or at least displays something AND is recognised) then disable the internal graphics and boot from your USB key to check that the 3GB 280X still works. The 280X likes some ports better than others, I use DVI and have no problems.

Once you know it boots from USB, then do the EFI Mod with the 280X in place (max 15 mins).

Boot from the EFI partition (are you using Clover?).

Check that the single 3GB card works OK. Check that FCP works OK with the 3GB card.

Now you know you have a working system, introduce the 6GB card and see what happens.

If everything works upto the 6GB introduction, you know the problem. I'd only mess with frame buffers at this point. I'd exhaust all options before reflashing the 280X BIOS.

Rob

Thank you Rob for your reply!

I'm using multibeast. My 280X (both 3GB and 6GB) lead to garbled text if I disable integrated graphics. I can boot with both of them just fine and use the system If I have integrated graphics enabled and have IGFX set as boot gpu. With my 280X plugged in it's black until I get to the login page and then the computer switches over the the 280X from integrated graphics.

The 280X 3GB shows up at 7xxx 3GB and everything works great. The 6GB shows up as 7xxx 6GB and everything works other than OpenCL applications such as FCX.

I followed the guide to create a EFI partition but didn't see any diffrence. Maybe I didn't do it correctly, I am currently downloading El Capitan to try that. I asked you on the other thread if you're using Clover or the updated multi-beast for El Capitan. Do you have your IGFX disabled for your setup that gets 11 seconds Bruce X?

My 2x 3GB 280X's are XFX and the 6GB is a MSI. If Sapphire has better results I would not mind purchasing Saphire cards and sending these 2 back to Amazon.

Thank you so much for you time replying to me and helping others. I REALLY appreciate it!

If I remember correctly, I think some of the Mac Pro guys also reported having issues with the 6GB 280x cards over at Mac Rumors.

I use this 3GB Sapphire 280x in my machine:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXA5G5O/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thank you for your reply! I just downloaded El Capitan and have a few questions before I install.
Did you use the Mulibeast setup for El Capitan? Do you have your integrated graphics enabled or disabled? And does your card show up at 7xxx 3GB or something else?

I'm excited to get it running in El Capitan. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back