CPU
I7-950
Graphics
GTX 970
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been completely unable to get the 2019-002 update to load to my BIOS (legacy Clover) X58-UD5 system. I have tried the App Store and full update from Apple’s support site with no change. I have also tried loading without the NVidia web driver loaded.

When I run the update, it runs fine right to the point it asks you to restart. When I go to restart, the system starts to shut down and then comes back with a black screen with a cursor in the upper right left. There is still disk activity and the media eject key on the keyboard still cycles the disk tray open/shut. I have left it in this state for a couple of hours with no change.

When I restart the system, it comes back up and functions normally but will no longer shut down properly (same black screen as above) so it seems like the final step of the install is still trying to run and failing.

I don’t see any errors/issues in the system log and am stuck.

I have tried a couple of different version of Clover (the one from the latest Multibeast and the latest legacy version from this site) with no change.

Has anyone with a similar MB and still running High Sierra been able to install the update? Is there a log file that might show where things are having a problem?

Thanks for any assistance here.

Last edited:
When I go to restart, the system starts to shut down and then comes back with a black screen with a cursor in the upper right left.
You are rebooting the "install macOS from..." partition instead of the actual High Sierra partition, right? Because you need to do that until this temporary installation partition disappears and you're only left with the then-updated High Sierra partition.

This time around it is not getting that far, I am not even getting that partition. There is a 'Boot macOS Install Prebooter From Preboot' partition out there that i tried but it just results in an immediate stop error.

Still stuck on this one. Last thing I tried was to wipe out all traces of the update on my system, do a clean install of Clover Legacy Boot Mode v2.4k r4862 and try the latest update from the app store. No change in results - the update runs, prompts for restart, and then while trying to shut down goes to a black screen. OS is still running (events getting logged), cursor is there and moves, and actions like the media eject key all work while sitting at this black screen. On forced reboot there is no install partition to choose.

experienced like same.
I tried to boot previous HighSierra (norbal boot, not Install or Preboot),
update Clover Configurator, re-download 2019-002 via AppStore(!!!), and apply 2019-002 again,
reboot and boot from preload twice, ...successfully updated.
basically, check if 2019-002 successfully downloaded please. I had not. FYI.
I hope go well....

Still stuck on this, 2019-003 will not load either. I have tried multiple solutions over the last month as I have had time including:
Trying to run the update on a spinning hard drive (not APFS).
Used the recovery partitiion to re-install OSX then trying the update.
Removed the NVidia drivers and tried to install.

Still does the same thing in all scenarios- instead of rebooting it just sits there a black screen with an active mouse cursor.

Any other thoughts?

Found another user with a MacPro having the same problem, the fix he found worked for me. Note before doing this I also deleted the contents of library/update:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back