Contribute
Register

2018 Video/Photo Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to go with the Asus X299 motherboard that kgp uses in his guide, then you can basically use his provided EFI folder to get up and running quickly.

After reading the guide, I really wanted too but that board's thunderbolt card only has one port - I need two for my planned setup.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I'll give you my take.

I've built many many Hacks. I've done dual cores, quads, Z68's, Z87's, Z97's, and now I've got a Z170. I've done AMD graphics, nVidia 480, 580, 780 and now 980. I've used bad language, tore my fingers, threw things, but always gotten them to work in the end.

Late '16 I decided to take a poke at the X99. I first tried wit an ASUS X99 mobo, then with a Gigabyte. I bought boards that members here and elsewhere say they had working, flashed bios', learnt how to modify Clover, tried different graphics cards, etc. I NEVER EVER got any of them to work even halfway properly, despite all sorts of claims on forums.

I dropped the hardware in another system, got a Z170 and a 6800K, saddled it up and had it running inside of a few hours. It's done Mountain Lion, Sierra and now High Sierra.

My 2c : stay away from the 'pro' chipsets for a Hack, they're more trouble than they're worth. Build something from the recommended list and see what Apple throws at us come september with the new Pro.

That would be El Capitan, I guess. Why can't I edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back