Contribute
Register

2018 i9 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the 2018 MacBook Pros have apparently i9 chips in them and I can't find any useful threads on i9 builds at all (except one that is TLDR), here it goes:

What i9 CPU models and what boards work out of the box without much configuration?

I figured if the buyers guide is not up to date, there must be some reason.

What i9 CPU models and what boards work out of the box without much configuration?
I figured if the buyers guide is not up to date, there must be some reason.

In desktops, the Core i9 brand indicates the processor has more CPU cores (10 to 18) than the other “Core” brands (4 to 8). But today, Core i9 in laptops mostly just signifies higher clock speeds, not more CPU cores. The 6-core, 12-thread Core i9-8950HK laptop chip has a base clock of 2.9GHz with a boost speed of 4.8GHz, for example. Intel’s new 8th-gen Core i7-8850H laptop chip also has 6 cores and 12 threads, but slower speeds at 2.6GHz base and 4.3GHz boost.

Since you cannot build your own laptop with a new i9 mobile chip why would you expect those to be in the Buyer's Guide or to find any User builds with those ? You may eventually see some i9 laptops in the Laptops forum but they are still too new yet for anyone to have attempted one. Also, very expensive compared to many i7 laptops. I believe they start at $3,500 and go up from there. So these are very high end laptops that most users just don't need. If you need that much cpu power go with a desktop build instead, those are much easier to cool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back