Contribute
Register

2012 Mac Pro Specs: Xeon E5, Thunderbolt, USB3, PCIE3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we can go to The EVGA SR-X Classified Dual LGA 2011 :headbang:

The only thing that is a bit 'bogus' about this ArsTechnica article is that Apple "needs" to pipe a connection from the internal graphics to the Thunderbolt chipset.

That's just wrong. You don't need to connect a display output to attach storage or any other device. Thunderbolt is simply an externally available connection to PCIe ports, and ALSO has the capability of transferring graphics via the DisplayPort protocol.

There is no way in hell you're required to saturate your Thunderbolt bus with a display signal. Stupid, and Intel engineers aren't that stupid either.

The reason having the display signal over Thunderbolt is key is for products like the new 27" Thunderbolt Display. These displays use thunderbolt to pipe USB, audio, video and more as well as the display signal all over one simple connection to the computer.

sonicseamus said:
The only thing that is a bit 'bogus' about this ArsTechnica article is that Apple "needs" to pipe a connection from the internal graphics to the Thunderbolt chipset.

That's just wrong. You don't need to connect a display output to attach storage or any other device. Thunderbolt is simply an externally available connection to PCIe ports, and ALSO has the capability of transferring graphics via the DisplayPort protocol.

There is no way in hell you're required to saturate your Thunderbolt bus with a display signal. Stupid, and Intel engineers aren't that stupid either.

The reason having the display signal over Thunderbolt is key is for products like the new 27" Thunderbolt Display. These displays use thunderbolt to pipe USB, audio, video and more as well as the display signal all over one simple connection to the computer.

It is only "key" for platforms that could make use of such a setup.

How will this work on a system based on the Sandy Bridge Xeon chips, with 6-8 cores and no built-in video hardware?

;) Think about that one...

saitek1710 said:
Anyone read this article ? Mac pro with ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip ? Hope they have other optional graphic cards.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/new-m...press-usb-superdrive-magsafes-coming-at-wwdc/

New mac pro coming out, there is more chance for me to buy cheap mac pro case on ebay xD

I think the 5770 rumor is bogus- it should be a 7xxx card if it's Radeon, if it's GeForce it will be 6xx. But traditionally the Mac Pro has had an Apple-only model vs. an off the shelf graphics solution, and an NVIDIA Quadro high end option.

I can't imagine they would still use the 5770. It is two generations old. The 7770m and the 650m are both equal to a 5770. I can't See them allowing the "new" Mac Pro to be out done by a laptop.

I was hoping for a 670/680, but in light of the low compute power, a Quadro, GTX580, or a 7970 are my next likely picks. I'm hoping for the 7970 or similar.Fingers are crossed for iMacs with 7970m.

valkeriefire said:
@tonymac

Any chance you will be tweeting the WWDC events and their effect on hackintoshing? I can't watch live because I'll be out but it would cool to follow twitter as it goes.

Thanks

I'll put up a post on the blog after we find out what's what. :thumbup:

saitek1710 said:
Anyone read this article ? Mac pro with ATI Radeon 5770 graphics chip ? Hope they have other optional graphic cards.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/new-m...press-usb-superdrive-magsafes-coming-at-wwdc/

New mac pro coming out, there is more chance for me to buy cheap mac pro case on ebay xD

I have an older PPC G5 (2006?) I'm thinking of selling. It still works, but the firewire ports aren't too stable for video. Anyway, I'm thinking I can at least get some money for the case if nothing else. You think there's a market? Is Ebay the best way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back