Contribute
Register

2012 H77N-WIFI build upgrade options GPU & WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh right, well I went with the GTX780 as it is well cheaper and yet from what I have read and discovered both here and on other sites it is reasonably comparable, plus it should suffice for my current needs. Thank you for your advice Adrian B.

Adrian B I have yet another query concerning the wifi, is the onboard wifi card now supported in Sierra? It has not been supported prior to my knowledge and a search in here turns up only old posts from 2012/13. Are there some kexts that allow it to work now?

If not, should a usb type wifi adapter work?

The wifi card supplied with the GA-H77N WIFI is made by Intel - it is not compatible with macOS and would need to be replaced with one that was - see the network forum for options, you should be able to get something reasonably cheap from around 15-20 Euros that will work well. USB wifi can be hit and miss performance wise - you can almost certainly find something macOS compatible under 10 Euros.

Another option to consider would be powerline adapters.
http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

I'd highly recommend staying away from USB WIFI it attends to cause problems. You might be better going with a official Apple WIFI/Bluetooth combo card.

I'd highly recommend staying away from USB WIFI it attends to cause problems. You might be better going with a official Apple WIFI/Bluetooth combo card.

Not all USB wifi adapters are problematic, you just need to do your research before getting one. My TP-LINK WN725N supplies native drivers for MacOS, and it worked without a hitch. The adapter was only $5.

Not all USB wifi adapters are problematic, you just need to do your research before getting one. My TP-LINK WN725N supplies native drivers for MacOS, and it worked without a hitch. The adapter was only $5.

Still wouldn't recommend it.

So it looks like Powerline is my only option.... that is if the GTX 780 even fits my MOBO. It arrived yesterday and I took a surprised look at how large it is and even though it will never fit into my case it seems like the GPU may not fit due to other parts on the MOBO getting in the way.

I have searched online and come across PCI-E extender cables, what are your thoughts on these for either GPU placement or PCI-E wifi? A random example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D79EV0G/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

In fact what are your thoughts on utilising an external PCI-E/GPU usb dock? A random example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4VMLF6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is it possible to install a mini ITX MOBO into an mATX or ATX case? I mean are the screw placements specific and therefore problematic when needing to move to a bigger case?

So it looks like Powerline is my only option.... that is if the GTX 780 even fits my MOBO. It arrived yesterday and I took a surprised look at how large it is and even though it will never fit into my case it seems like the GPU may not fit due to other parts on the MOBO getting in the way.

I have searched online and come across PCI-E extender cables, what are your thoughts on these for either GPU placement or PCI-E wifi? A random example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D79EV0G/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

In fact what are your thoughts on utilising an external PCI-E/GPU usb dock? A random example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4VMLF6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Is it possible to install a mini ITX MOBO into an mATX or ATX case? I mean are the screw placements specific and therefore problematic when needing to move to a bigger case?

The GTX 780 should fit straight onto the mobo - as long as the case allows fitment. I would go with an mATX or ATX case to house your build. Check the length of your GTX 780 - most mATX cases should be able to accommodate this card.
It is possible to use a PCI riser card - although again your caes would need to allow for this. i would stay away from the GPU dock.

Okay so I still need to take the mobo out to see if the GPU will fit. I am actually now struggling to find cables that will connect to all the places that old PSU connects to. The 'new' PSU came without cables and is modular so I need to buy 2 cables that go 8 pin to 8 pin (which I have found), 1 cable that is 6 pin to 4 pin (or split into 4+2 or 4+4) and then two cables than go from 6 pin to sata but this is turning out to be near impossible to find! Am I missing something here? Should all the cables be connecting to something else first? I mean, here in Germany all of these 8,6 or 4 pin cables have one end male (which is what I need) but the other end is female! I can't find anything other than high priced 8 pin to 8 pin cables and they don't split (other than 8 to 6+2). Further more the sata cables are all 6 pin to male but I need female for the 2 sata.

The PSU is a Corsair cs650m and the SSD is samsung and the HDD is Toshiba so I'm pretty sure they don't have odd connectors.
All cables here that I can find are either male to female or male to 'Molex'(?) on the other end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back