Contribute
Register

2012 H77N-WIFI build upgrade options GPU & WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm.... lots to think about and consider there...
How about this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce 3X OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 would this workout for me? I found it in ebay and it's only slightly more expensive than the GTX 660's and also much cheaper than the 750Ti's. It is of cause second hand. Are there any things I should know about this particular card (that is, if it's compatible). It is rated quite high on that Best Buy table you gave me a link for.

Also, how can one tell if a GPU is single or double slot?

Edit: I've just taken another look and there are several more 770's in ebay all around the same price. This one seems good(?)
GIGABYTE Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 OC (2048 MB) (GV-N770OC-2GD) is there some kind of trick to deciphering the names and numbers for these GPU's in order to pull out helpful info when looking to buy?

One other rather important question... the GPU slots into the PCI card slot right? For some reason I have been thinking it may go into one of the RAM slots...(!?) If I have to remove the wifi PCI card then can I use a usb wifi adapter like this -
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007K871ES/?tag=tonymacx8603-21 or even this
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01L1G1K0A/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Not sure why my text is so large.... I don't want you to think I am text yelling!

GTX 770 is native and has native Powermanagement just like the GTX 760. Although the GTX 650 works fine and the 670 works okay.

Yeah I am wanting to try out some games and the HD 4000 is not up to it unfortunately.

If thats the case then id recommend upgrading you're existing PSU to at least 550Watt, 600Watt.

Darn I have only CX430 power supply...would this manage?

Edit: from your link Adrian B it looks like I'll need to pick up a new PSU as well.

The build that I use with the GTX670 uses a decent 500w Be Quiet! PSU without problems. For the wifi, look in the network section or use search for H77N WIFI / Dell 1510, 1515. You can use these on the motherboard were the original half size Intel wifi card was positioned. Ensure that you can find your external wifi antenna. :thumbup:

Hey there thanks for the advice Adrian B and VoiletDragon, took me awhile to reply as I have had no internet for the past couple of weeks. Incidentally I tried to pick up the GTX 770 and they are all gone, I do however have a little more spare cash now and am thinking about a secondhand GTX 780. Have either or both of you any advice or cautions about secondhand GPU's that I need to consider? Other than the obvious that come with purchasing secondhand products.

Also, Adrian B my ex was a bit of spring cleaner and it appears that she has thrown out the external wifi antenna that originally came with the MOBO, I am currently scouring the internet to see if I can pick up some replacements here in Germany.

If updating to Yosemite or later then try to see if you can pick up a newer GTX 970 at a reasonable price. On the antenna - it may be worth considering a cheap ~ 10 Euro or so wifi card, just for the two antenna. See how that compares with only buying the required parts.

The thing is that a secondhand GTX 970 is at least €100 more than a secondhand GTX 780 and I am not really able to stretch so far at the moment. Also, on that hierarchy table that you linked me the 780 was placed at the same level as the 970... would the 4GB GTX 970 (GV-N970IXOC-4GD) be a suitable buy as far as compatibility? Actually, if you wouldn't mind could you explaining why it's a better choice? From what I have been reading up about GPU's the specs on the 780 are a decent bit higher than for the 970...is this more a case of newer is better? Or is this something to do with upgrading to a newer OS X like Sierra, which I plan to do now that I've seen a really nice guide specifically for my build here in Tonymac86 site.

On the wifi card that I have are three antenna would they work with the MOBO onboard wifi card? Here is a link to the card I currently have which is a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 - TP-Link N900 Dl Band Wless N PCI-E Adpt https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006PMX964/?tag=tonymacx8603-21
It looks like they would transfer over but I don't know if there would be some kind of compatibility issue that I am oblivious to?

My point is that you might be able to get a slightly newer card for about the same amount of money - possibly even with a warranty:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00NSXYGV0/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

For the wifi card - the antenna should just unscrew from the PCI-e card and should then fit the motherboard connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back