Contribute
Register

2012 H77N-WIFI build upgrade options GPU & WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GTX 1050 has no support in Sierra at this point in time. The motherboard, cpu and HD4000 graphics have been working since 10.7.5 and have worked with each new version since then.

The version of MacOS being used is key in determining what hardware will work. In Windows support is often added for new graphics cards in older versions of Windows. Apple have only implemented newer hardware support in newer versions of OS X/MacOS.

So, if I am to update to the latest MacOS I then need to find a GPU that is working with both the MacOS and the Hardware. This makes a search on here very difficult to find both categories covered. Are you able to direct me in the right direction? Maybe current posts or the correct/particular terminology to utilize in my searches?

I am also thinking about a HDD 'draw'(?) that you (Adrian B) have mentioned before in another post, where you can switch out HDDs and run both MacOS and Windows on separate HDDs. Then if I was to have a GPU installed that worked only with Windows would I need to remove it every time I boot up in MacOS?

So, if I am to update to the latest MacOS I then need to find a GPU that is working with both the MacOS and the Hardware. This makes a search on here very difficult to find both categories covered. Are you able to direct me in the right direction? Maybe current posts or the correct/particular terminology to utilize in my searches?

I am also thinking about a HDD 'draw'(?) that you (Adrian B) have mentioned before in another post, where you can switch out HDDs and run both MacOS and Windows on separate HDDs. Then if I was to have a GPU installed that worked only with Windows would I need to remove it every time I boot up in MacOS?

HD 4000 works in Windows and Sierra. If you want to have a more powerful GPU then ensure that it will work with the version of OS X that you wish to use. The latest buyers guide still has nvidia 9** series as these have additional drivers available that will work from Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra. You can pick up on eBay good supported 7** and 9** series cards in many different countries.
What applications/games are you wanting to use? If you check the recommended graphics requirements then this will give you an idea of the level of card to get.

if you do a google search for 5.25" hot swap drive then you should be able to find some HDD swap bays for using with different operating systems.

How do I find out if a 7** card is supported? And are the 6** cards supported? I am now looking at ebay for second hand cards as my pockets are very shallow. Is there something in the respective MacOS release notes or anything like that?

Thanks I will check out 'hot swap drives' and 'HDD swap bays'.

Edit: what is the difference between 'single slot' and 'double slot', is this important?

Last edited:
How do I find out if a 7** card is supported? And are the 6** cards supported? I am now looking at ebay for second hand cards as my pockets are very shallow. Is there something in the respective MacOS release notes or anything like that?

GT 640, GTX 650 GTX 660, GTX670, GTX 680 all work but are getting a little old - so you may find these are quite cheap to buy.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-august-2013.106788/#gfx_cards

GT 750, GTX 760 , GTX770 and GTX 780/780Ti are a little newer.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/building-a-customac-buyers-guide-october-2014.152135/#gfx_cards

The following thread shows most of the above cards and lists them in approximate technology bands:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/
If you tell me what you need the card to be able to do then I can better advise to what to look for as well as what to avoid.

: what is the difference between 'single slot' and 'double slot', is this important?

Single slot are the really cheap cards that generally only rival basic CPU power. The double slot cards tend to have better cooling and be much more powerful - although some old stuff isn't as powerful today as it was a few years ago.

Okay, well I am looking for an 'affordable' (I realize this tells you nothing) card that will work with my current hardware. I want to be able to play some games without constant stuttering and lowest graphic settings. I realize that my current build is not optimal for gaming, I have some time at the moment and just want to mess around gaming. I will likely upgrade my entire build at some date when I have more cash. My wish is to play Subnautical which states under the system requirements that GTX 550 Ti is recommended. I am sure that it is best to go for a much better than required card to get more/longer 'life' out of it, but at the moment I am very tight for money and was hoping to find something cheap enough to 'get me by' for now.

I will check out the 6** series to see if I can pick something up nice and cheap. I guess I will stick with the double slot cards as well.

That technology bands link is really interesting and informative, thank you! It gives me a much better idea of how the differing cards stack up against each other and cuts out the confusion with the numbering system.

You should be able to pick up a GTX 660 very cheaply - I am using a GTX 670 in one of my builds and use it for Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator on mostly max settings at 1080P, gives around 60FPS most of the time without much problem. Cards like these generally like a high quality branded PSU rated at around 500W and above with additional PCIe 6pin & 8 pin connecters for the GPU.

A GTX 750Ti works with the nvidia drivers and is abut the same graphical power as the older 560Ti, but the 750 Ti is much more power efficient (only uses 1 additional 6 pin power connector from memory). It is also going to be a lot quieter than a 560Ti. Compare these things as the 750Ti only requires a 300W PSU.

A GTX950 is a major step above the 750Ti for budget gaming, but may worth you considering.

Hmmmm.... lots to think about and consider there...
How about this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce 3X OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 would this workout for me? I found it in ebay and it's only slightly more expensive than the GTX 660's and also much cheaper than the 750Ti's. It is of cause second hand. Are there any things I should know about this particular card (that is, if it's compatible). It is rated quite high on that Best Buy table you gave me a link for.

Also, how can one tell if a GPU is single or double slot?

Edit: I've just taken another look and there are several more 770's in ebay all around the same price. This one seems good(?)
GIGABYTE Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 OC (2048 MB) (GV-N770OC-2GD) is there some kind of trick to deciphering the names and numbers for these GPU's in order to pull out helpful info when looking to buy?

One other rather important question... the GPU slots into the PCI card slot right? For some reason I have been thinking it may go into one of the RAM slots...(!?) If I have to remove the wifi PCI card then can I use a usb wifi adapter like this -
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007K871ES/?tag=tonymacx8603-21 or even this
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01L1G1K0A/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Not sure why my text is so large.... I don't want you to think I am text yelling!

Last edited:
A GTX 770 would be a good option. Check out the power requirements from the following link:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

A single 6 pin and an additional 8 pin PCIe connector are required from a recommended 600W PSU. A really good 500W/550W would be OK as you are not using either an i5 or i7 processor at the moment.

Most cards above the cheaper GT630/GT730 type cards will all be dual slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back