Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone every reused the screen in an intel iMac such as the 24" iMac from 2006 (similar case as G5)? Do the intel iMacs have proprietry LVDS connectors? I envision an H87-TN in there but I am betting there is not an easy way to connect the LCD.

Mike

Has anyone every reused the screen in an intel iMac such as the 24" iMac from 2006 (similar case as G5)? Do the intel iMacs have proprietry LVDS connectors? I envision an H87-TN in there but I am betting there is not an easy way to connect the LCD.

Mike
I knew I read something about this. Esterhernds basically answered this in his imac G5 project. I had a bad feeling about this.

Hi Mykuls, they say nothing is impossible, but from my experience so far with these G5's, you'd have a monumental challenge on your hands to get it going. There is SO LITTLE height in behind the LCD panel, that literally every millimeter counts. I cannot see anything but an Intel NUC fitting, but then again, I've never been inside the 24". With the 20" iSight that I'm doing now, there's no way anything larger would fit in there than the 4x4" board.

I looked at this product a while back, it looks promising for LVDS builds, but is expensive and must be programmed at the manufacturer for the specific LCD you are using. Its not cheap either, around 200 dollars plus shipping. Thats a heck of gamble when you have to buy your other hardware on top of it just to test it out to see if its gonna work or not. Theres not likely a contingency option if it fails to light up the LCD correctly.

http://www.systemation-inc.com/index.php/products/drivers/single-use-adapters/77-adp103

See what you think anyway.

One more thing, the larger LCD's are much thicker and have a wider edge along the top, which leaves essentially zero room to work with along the top 3" of the iMac. The smaller 17" actually provided more room to play with than the 20.

Regards,

Ersterhernd

Thanks for your reply Esterhernd. I was so caught up in the lvds that I forgot to think about the depth of the machine and fitting in a thin itx. I doubt it will fit, but I will check further. There is a seller on ebay that offers dvi/hdmi/VGA to lvds for $37 US dollars and you just have to tell them what model of lcd you have. I saw a link to their products whe I googled laptop lcd to desktop monitor and a few people have used these products. I am awaiting a reply to see if they have the appropriate model.

Off to the the back burner for this product. I still have a IIgs and a IIcx case in my workshop waiting for new guts!

Hi Mykuls, a major issue may turn out to be interfacing the inverter to a mod. I just had a look at the 24" inverter, apparently it forms part of the LCD as one part?

I think I'd start with trying to find the datasheet for your LCD panel, that will give you more information on both the LVDS pinout and the inverter pinout. It may be tough to find, as some sheets are.

I know one thing for sure, I wouldn't entrust someone else to decide whether their product will work with an expensive LCD like yours. If its wrong, disaster will strike fast.

------------------

EDIT: If this is your panel, here's a link to a summary of the specs but not the full datasheet. 72W of power for the Backlights and LCD???? There's 14 lamps? WOW. I struggled to get 36W to my 20" Panel.

http://www.panelook.com/LM240WU2-SLB3_LG Display_24.0_LCM_parameter_4980.html

Here's a PDF datasheet link for a similar (but slightly newer) panel. It has the same 14 pin inverter cable as the 24" iMac does so may be similar...

http://www.beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/LG-Philips/LM240WU2-SLB4.pdf

------------------

Ersterhernd

Thanks Esterhernd.

Yeah, I think it is a pipe dream. I have been scouring replacement LCD sits for panels that would fit in a 20 or 24 inch 2006 or now even G5. Your G5 got me inspired but perhaps I should just save the cash!

I don't actually own the iMac, but there was a good deal on one that I just passed up. It was fully working except the HDD. Thanks for the info. I will save it for the future.

Mike

Attachments

• lm240wu2-sla1.pdf
    619 KB · Views: 480
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back