Graphics
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a 3TB hard drive that I bought, and now after successfully getting my Hackintosh up and running (ALL THANKS TO THIS COMMUNITY), I want to get Windows 7 up and running on the 3 TB hard drive and have my 1 TB hard drive have OS X ML on it. I unplugged the 1TB hard drive (that has OS X successfully running on it) and tried installing Windows 7 on the 3TB hard drive.

I put in the retail disc and when it asks me to choose an install location, I will select my 3TB hard drive but it claims I can't install it there due to it being a GUI partition and when I opt to format it, it will not allow me to!

attachements are included. Photo Jan 07, 4 11 32 AM.jpgPhoto Jan 07, 3 50 25 AM.jpgPhoto Jan 07, 12 00 29 AM.jpg

I have a 3TB hard drive that I bought, and now after successfully getting my Hackintosh up and running (ALL THANKS TO THIS COMMUNITY), I want to get Windows 7 up and running on the 3 TB hard drive and have my 1 TB hard drive have OS X ML on it. I unplugged the 1TB hard drive (that has OS X successfully running on it) and tried installing Windows 7 on the 3TB hard drive.

I put in the retail disc and when it asks me to choose an install location, I will select my 3TB hard drive but it claims I can't install it there due to it being a GUI partition and when I opt to format it, it will not allow me to!

attachements are included. View attachment 43064View attachment 43065View attachment 43066

You should probably read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408/es

According the the article above, you cannot boot Windows on that drive unless you do a UEFI install of Windows and have the drive GPT. If you do that, Chimera will not be able to boot it (it can only boot Windows in BIOS mode), which means you'll have to use Clover instead of Chimera/Chameleon.

You should probably read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408/es

According the the article above, you cannot boot Windows on that drive unless you do a UEFI install of Windows and have the drive GPT. If you do that, Chimera will not be able to boot it (it can only boot Windows in BIOS mode), which means you'll have to use Clover instead of Chimera/Chameleon.

I of course don't mind if this ISN'T a GPT - if there is some way to format it to the "Master Boot Record" then I'd gladly do that.
I also only have Multibeast at my disposal and I don't see anything that has to do with Clover.

And if it would be easier, I'm willing to partition my hard drive that has OSX to install windows on it if that would make things easier.
I just want both operating systems!
Thanks!

I of course don't mind if this ISN'T a GPT - if there is some way to format it to the "Master Boot Record" then I'd gladly do that.

You can format it as MBR, but you will only be able to use 2TB of your 3TB drive. Limitation of MBR...

I also only have Multibeast at my disposal and I don't see anything that has to do with Clover.

You are correct, Clover is not included in Multibeast. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Do a google search for 'clover boot loader'

And if it would be easier, I'm willing to partition my hard drive that has OSX to install windows on it if that would make things easier.
I just want both operating systems!

That's what I would recommend.

That does make it easier, in that you can then format the 3TB drive as GPT (so you can use the whole thing for data). And you put both Win7 and ML on other other smaller drive, using a hybrid MBR/GPT format. This allows ML to be installed to the GPT and Windows to be installed BIOS mode to MBR. You can use my blog article as a guide for dual-booting to the same drive, just skip the sections you don't need (it describes how to do quad-boot).

Thank you very much for your recommendations and help. I'll be taking a look at the over the weekend.
Thanks again.

You can use my blog article as a guide for dual-booting to the same drive, just skip the sections you don't need (it describes how to do quad-boot).

In your blog, it says you partitioned 60GB for Windows 7 NTFS. How? There is not an option for partitioning NTFS in Disk Utility though.

In your blog, it says you partitioned 60GB for Windows 7 NTFS. How? There is not an option for partitioning NTFS in Disk Utility though.

Read the whole guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back