Not open for further replies.

MP7

Motherboard
R5E
CPU
Graphics
1080ti
Hello everyone,

I've been reading about it here on the forums but I would like some confirmation if I got it right...

So I've got 2 SSD's(and a partitioned HDD, but no OS's there), Windows on both, and I would like to put El Capitan on one of them, do I have to format before or I can do it from El Capitan installation? I suppose it's the same?

So I need to 'remove' the SSD with the windows OS I want to keep, install El Capitan and after that reconnect the other SSD?

Windows is UEFI booting and clover also, I've been reading that clover needs to be in legacy?

Thx

Hello everyone,

I've been reading about it here on the forums but I would like some confirmation if I got it right...

So I've got 2 SSD's(and a partitioned HDD, but no OS's there), Windows on both, and I would like to put El Capitan on one of them, do I have to format before or I can do it from El Capitan installation? I suppose it's the same?

So I need to 'remove' the SSD with the windows OS I want to keep, install El Capitan and after that reconnect the other SSD?

Windows is UEFI booting and clover also, I've been reading that clover needs to be in legacy?

Thx
If Windows is booting UEFI, then install Clover UEFI.
Disconnecting the Windows SSD is not a requirement, but is a safety precaution to prevent you from formatting the wrong drive ("Oh, no!! I just accidently formatted my Windows drive to install OS X - is there any way to get it back?" "No, too bad, you have to re-install from scratch." - Can't put a number on how many times I have seen this.)

You can pre-format the OS X SSD, but it is easier to do it at the first installation screen that comes up with the OS X installer.

Reactions: MP7
Excellent, thx bud! Hopefully my next post will be from os x ! :headbang:

Ok I actually bought another (smaller) SSD just so I could still have two Windows(I like to have 2 for redundancy :D)

Sorry but I have to ask; at the installation screen when it asks if you want to make some changes and I start disk utility, do I have to format the drive now or it can be done at a later step? Also which partition scheme(<-pic) to choose?

Thx

Ok I actually bought another (smaller) SSD just so I could still have two Windows(I like to have 2 for redundancy :D)

Sorry but I have to ask; at the installation screen when it asks if you want to make some changes and I start disk utility, do I have to format the drive now or it can be done at a later step? Also which partition scheme(<-pic) to choose?

Thx
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/ step2 format HDD/SSD exactly same as USB except for partition size - select any size you want 10GB or larger. This is a little larger than actually required, but gives you some room to add apps.

Thx again.
Well...after a couple of those "Error loading kernel caches (0x9)" it went to install screen, installed it but doesn't boot at all.
Tried to boot from unibeast USB but get "Couldn't allocate runtime area..."

I'm about to give up on this, it's driving me crazy :-X

Last edited:
Thx again.
Well...after a couple of those "Error loading kernel caches (0x9)" it went to install screen, installed it but doesn't boot at all.
Tried to boot from unibeast USB but get "Couldn't allocate runtime area..."

I'm about to give up on this, it's driving me crazy :-X
Try this Aptiofix by h4x - it helped me get past the unable to set runtime and not enough space errors on the Asrock X99M Killer:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-g_coTRnPnaU53Z1F6Qm5OeXM/view?pref=2&pli=1

Thank you GB you seems to help me every time, always successfully by a step but then, lucky that I am, the next one fails :)
I've been actually playing with that file, putting the one without the number 2 in it instead of mine, like those people who for example were doing the opposite.
The one u linked definitely worked!!!
But like I said, after one problem solved, another one comes in...

And then it just stops here

Thank you GB you seems to help me every time, always successfully by a step but then, lucky that I am, the next one fails :)
I've been actually playing with that file, putting the one without the number 2 in it instead of mine, like those people who for example were doing the opposite.
The one u linked definitely worked!!!
But like I said, after one problem solved, another one comes in...

And then it just stops here
If nv_disable=1 boot-arg is not getting you past this point to the installer then there are only two solutions I have found -
1. replace the unsupported GPU with a supported nVidia GPU (I used a 9800GT from the EP45-UD3P build the first time)
2. Use a different build with a UEFI BIOS to install on CPU gfx, download and install nVidia drivers, move the drive to the X99 build, boot with the UniBeast USB and perform post install chores with MultiBeast and toledo's audio guide.

I used #2 and installed with my Z87I Deluxe build because I was too lazy to swap GPUs this time.

I can tell you this Aptiofix by h4x works well, I have network and audio and things seem to work. Have not tested imessage or any of the fancy WiFi handoff stuff since there is no WiFi in this X99M Killer build.
It also recognizes and dual boots the M.2 SSD with Win10 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back