Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Centris
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This will be my 1st hackintosh. I was always Mac or nothing and waited for 7 years to replace my trusty core2duo white iMac and the last 2 years was waiting on the next update. But then Apple took away the option of me adding my own after market ssd and I've ordered the parts to build my own based on all the great advice, here. Some of the exact brands are not available where I live so this is what I will have to work with:

Gigabyte z77x-ud5h
I7 3770k
G. Skill Ares F3 1600 10D 16gb
Gigabyte gtx680 oc 2gb
2x Samsung 128gb SSD (Mac OS and Win7 on separate drives)
1 Seagate 1.0Tb barracuda
PCI-E TP-LINK N450 WDN4800
Thermaltake TR2 Bronze 800W (that might seem like overkill but I intend to add some protools and other a/v cards, later)
Antec P183 Performance mid-tower (I wanted the most boring looking box with good airflow to keep the toddlers from being interested in it).

Please give a thumbs up for peace of mind or highlight the dodgy bits.

Thanks

This will be my 1st hackintosh. I was always Mac or nothing and waited for 7 years to replace my trusty core2duo white iMac and the last 2 years was waiting on the next update. But then Apple took away the option of me adding my own after market ssd and I've ordered the parts to build my own based on all the great advice, here. Some of the exact brands are not available where I live so this is what I will have to work with:

Gigabyte z77x-ud5h
I7 3770k
G. Skill Ares F3 1600 10D 16gb
Gigabyte gtx680 oc 2gb
2x Samsung 128gb SSD (Mac OS and Win7 on separate drives)
1 Seagate 1.0Tb barracuda
PCI-E TP-LINK N450 WDN4800
Thermaltake TR2 Bronze 800W (that might seem like overkill but I intend to add some protools and other a/v cards, later)
Antec P183 Performance mid-tower (I wanted the most boring looking box with good airflow to keep the toddlers from being interested in it).

Please give a thumbs up for peace of mind or highlight the dodgy bits.

Thanks

:thumbup: Looks good to me. The P183 is a nice quiet tower case. The one thing you might want to double check is the length of your 4/8 pin CPU power cable. On the P180 I had to get an extension cable to reach and still had to route the cable across the top of the gfx card! I don't know if the 183 has room to run the cable between the panel and the mobo tray or not, but it might.

If you plan to OC, I would suggest a good CPU cooler.

Thanks for the reply. I breathe a bit easier, now. I planned to experiment with OCing the CPU in little baby steps and getting temp readings to decide on the cooler. That's way down the line, though. First I've got to get it working :)

Out of Box!

I'm such a spasmo I had Yok at the Adelaide PC DIY store build it for me. He's got a golden touch, it worked out of the box.

I'm migrating my rubbish over and we'll see how everything works and how much I can tweak it but right now I'm listening to my favourite songs on SoundCloud and looking for a proper monitor (currently hijacked the family tellie) all on my rig.

Thanks to all of you fpr helping me create my ideal rig for half the cost of a make-do iMac :)

Ahem.... OSX ML works out of the box. 20 minute install and it's perfect. BUT every time I try to install Windows it kills the whole machine in 1 way or another. I am now on my eleventeenth reformatting and reinstalling of bloody everything. Ironic that I have to ask, how do I make windows 7 work on a hackintosh?

My latest disaster was after installing Win7 and nothing booted up saying something about disk error. I disabled all SATA except 0 and booted ML. No worries. I installed Chameleon (very bad idea) and got into an infinite reboot loop. I partitioned 0 and installed ML on the 2nd partition hoping that I could boot from that and copy stuff from 1st. Same infinite loop. Just reformatted and am booting up on SSD to reinstall multibeast stuff.

I swear I will backup the drive, this time.

Anyway, OSX booted up like magic as per usual. How do I get Windows working?

It's usually quite easy.
1. Install OS X on one drive (including Multibeast).
2. Disconnect that drive.
3. Install Windows on the other drive.
4. Reconnect the OS X drive and boot from it.

Done.

Finally got Win7 installed and working. It let me install on the SSD I formatted with ML but it wouldn't let me boot from it. I reformatted the SSD with the Win7 installer USB and everything is running very well, now.

Thank you all for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back