Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Looks like we finally have a new "kid on the block".

Did anyone tried this NIC adapter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166088

Chipset: Asix AX88179

Compliant with Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification, Revision 1.0

Compatible with USB Specification, Revision 2.0

Supports full duplex operation with IEEE 802.3x flow control and half duplex operation with back-pressure flow control

Compatible with IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.3ab

Supports IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet) auto-detect usage for energy saving adjustment

Supports crossover detection and auto-correction

Supports advanced link down power saving when Ethernet cable is unplugged

Supports Wake-on-LAN

Upstream port: USB 3.0 type A

Downstream port: RJ45

LEDs indicate the status of Power status and Ethernet connection

Support Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8 (32/64 bit) and 2003; Mac OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8; Android 1.x/2.x/3.x/4.x, and Linux kernel 2.6.14 and later.

Customac,

Do YOU see merits in this dongle? It supports both USB 2 and USB 3. And the price is right.

Does the Asix AX88179 chipset get in the way of using it with Mac OS X 10.8.2?

I would like to try it by replacing my Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 wireless N USB Adapter.

Thanks.

Customac,

Do YOU see merits in this dongle? It supports both USB 2 and USB 3. And the price is right.

Does the Asix AX88179 chipset get in the way of using it with Mac OS X 10.8.2?

I would like to try it by replacing my Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 wireless N USB Adapter.

Thanks.

It is designed to work with 10.8.x and older ones. Some folks used to fall back on Apple USB 2.0 100M adapter that was more expensive and 10x slower.
Mac Air folks may take advantage of this adapter as they have no ethernet at all - for example to transfer 20GB of data to NAS. Some hacks on laptop/desktop could take advantage of it when built-in ethernet is incompatible or does not support WOL features or not stable (more like 99% MB have some issue or deficiencies in "NIC department"). The only internal NIC I know of working natively 100% and rock solid is Rosewill RC-401-EX (or same thing at 2x price - Presto Gigabit Ethernet Pro PCIe Card), but some MB are not compatible with it. So here we have new solution - it is reasonably priced, USB3.0, WOL, GB NIC and it is officially supported on MAC OS X, Linux and Windows. I think even with USB 2.0 (480Mbps) - it will run circles around any $$$ WiFi solution.

I am not sure replacing wireless with wired is making any sense, unless you should have used wired connection to begin with: your hack desktop sits next to the router/switch/network outlet, but for some "unknown" reason you decided to use WiFi. Wired is always a preference for stationary gear. Based on your WiFi adapter you are getting ~ 5MBps - if you are lucky and sitting next to the WiFi AP. This NIC will deliver ~120MBps - on USB3.0+1000Mbps network, or 50MBps on USB2.0+1000Mbps, or 11MBps on 100Mbps wired network. You do the math...

Customac,

What you said makes sense. So I am going to purchase this item from Newegg ($25)

The reason why I am not using the built-in Gigabit Ethernet on the Foxconn motherboard is because it only works intermittently. And, sometimes the Ethernet connection works only after (1) I go redo the settings and then (2) reboot.

Thanks for the heads up on this forum. More people should know about your post. It is a great solution for those who have problems using the built-in Ethernet on their motherboards.

:thumbup:

Customac,

Just a suggestion:

How about putting Rosewill RNG 406U Ethernet Adapter information on a front page to let newbies like me know that this is a solid alternative to built-in Ethernet?

I know it will help a lot of other folks who visit this site and go through the forums.

Thanks.

If you have spare PCI-E x 1 slot and older MB (not Z77 based) you would get even better results with internal "Rosewill RC-401-EX Network Card Gigabit Low Profile 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45" - it is the same one (marvel based) used by many macs made 2005-2008, so it works. Just disable built-in NIC in BIOS and you good to go.

I am not sure how to make post sticky, I think it is up to forum moderators...

Unfortunately this Foxconn H67S motherboard has only one slot and that is for a video card. But there are plenty of USB ports (ver 2.0) so the Rosewill USB to Ethernet adapter from Newegg may be a good solution for me. I built this Hackintosh from parts that I had in my garage. My other two Hackintoshes are i7-3770 based Asus P8 Z77-V LX with 32 GB of DRAM and another one with i5-3220 and MSI Z77 motherboard. I also have an HP ProBook 4530s that has been working like a charm (except for the webcab).

I am retired IT prof(essor)(essional) and spend time on stuff such as this.

My next build is going to be a Hackintosh using an i3 processor for which I am looking for a motherboard and ram. I have all the other parts. Want to build this to give to my son. Any ideas for a motherboard and RAM? Just looking for full functionality, not speed or new fangled stuff.

Thank you Customac for your good work with the installation guides and suggestions to all of us.

I/we appreciate the fact that you "share" your knowledge with the rest of us.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back