Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
ok, so i was installing startcraft II (again, damn you blizzard) when i noticed istat was reading my core temps at about 185 degrees F!!! did i miss something when installing multibeast? these temps are dangerously high, and im wondering if they are even accurate.
if they are, im re-thermal pasting.

Babelfish42 said:
ok, so i was installing startcraft II (again, damn you blizzard) when i noticed istat was reading my core temps at about 185 degrees F!!! did i miss something when installing multibeast? these temps are dangerously high, and im wondering if they are even accurate.
if they are, im re-thermal pasting.
Are you using the stock cooler? That is high for load but still safe.

yes, it is stock for now. i must survive christmas before i can even think about buying more parts.
my heatsink doesn't get very warm to the touch, so I'm just going to be safe and re apply. 185 is rediculous for something just installing. I would hate to see what it would look like if this thing was REALLY working.
is there something i could have missed using multibeast o cause that problem?
i used a dsdt from the database, but other than that all i did was enable some hardware.

Babelfish42 said:
yes, it is stock for now. i must survive christmas before i can even think about buying more parts.
my heatsink doesn't get very warm to the touch, so I'm just going to be safe and re apply. 185 is rediculous for something just installing. I would hate to see what it would look like if this thing was REALLY working.
is there something i could have missed using multibeast o cause that problem?
i used a dsdt from the database, but other than that all i did was enable some hardware.

I was seeing about the same with the stock cooler and my 950:
Idle mid to upper 40s, under load high 80s to low 90s (centigrade).

After switching to the Mugen, idle didn't change much - dropped to low to mid 40's, but now it goes to only mid 70's under load.

The average 950 does run really hot, and the crappy stock cooler doesn't help.

I too was having issues with my i7-950 for heat. My Zalman cooler was idling in the 50c to 60c range. The CPU is just a hot CPU. Only thing you can do is get a better cooler.

I since bought a Corsair H50 after reading many, many forums. Now I idle high 30c to low 40c range and under 100% load get high 50c. This cooler is like $60 at Frys.

I'd recommend you get either the Mugen 2 (huge!) or the H50 which is a water cooler package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back