4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hey all, I have obtained nearly everything for my build excluding 2 SSDs, 1 HDD, and my RAM. I will be dual booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8. I will also have 2 virtual machines running 24/7 and they will be hosting Minecraft Servers. I might add maybe one more virtual machine (just a possibilty, however HIGHLY unlikely). I will also be gaming on Windows, playing games like Battlefield and such. So my question is 16gb or 32gb of ram? Do you need any more info?
Thanks,
Hacknewbie (Jacob) :D

Hey all, I have obtained nearly everything for my build excluding 2 SSDs, 1 HDD, and my RAM. I will be dual booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8. I will also have 2 virtual machines running 24/7 and they will be hosting Minecraft Servers. I might add maybe one more virtual machine (just a possibilty, however HIGHLY unlikely). I will also be gaming on Windows, playing games like Battlefield and such. So my question is 16gb or 32gb of ram? Do you need any more info?
Thanks,
Hacknewbie (Jacob) :D

Running that many VMs - get 32.

As others noted, get lots of RAM. But there seems some weirdness in your description:

I will be dual booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8.
So you will be running one OS and occasionally shutting down and running the other OS, right?

I will also have 2 virtual machines running 24/7 and they will be hosting Minecraft Servers.
Running "24/7" implies that you won't be shutting down the machine (e.g. running OS X with the Minecraft servers running in VMs) and rebooting into Windows, as then the Minecraft servers will not be running.

How did you plan to get around that?

I will also be gaming on Windows, playing games like Battlefield and such.
What, in a VM so you don't have to reboot the host OS?

If you want "24/7" servers plus the ability to dual-boot and play games in Windows, you're probably looking at two machines.

Well for this, you might need 32gb.
But as DBP said, its impossible to run 2 servers 24/7 on a virtual machine and use 2 OS.
Well if you're not running the servers, then I think 16gb will be more than enough for any type of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back