Contribute
Register

$1500 CAD (Canadian Dollar) Gaming Hacintosh (need advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i don't have a
CPU
hackintosh i just have a
Graphics
MacBook Pro mid-2010
After getting sick of playing Portal 2 on my 2010 MacBook Pro, I wanted to build a Hackintosh. But, after getting some very harsh criticism from my friends, I'm starting to question my build's power. Here's the list of parts (tower only):

Intel i5-9600k
Thermaltake CLP0534 22.35 CFM
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste

Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

2 X Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card

Case: BitFenix Prodigy
Case Fans: 3 X Cooler Master Blade Master 76.8 CFM 120mm

Going to run on High Sierra and Windows 10 dual boot.

I'm pretty sure all of this is compatible, but the thing I'm worried about is the Trident Z RGB RAM, as it isn't on the Buyer's Guide list that most of the parts came from (don't judge me, it looks hecka cool). Also, I don't plan on using too much space when it comes to the SSDs, that's why I got two 500GBs and not two smaller ones and a big terabyte-sized one. I've also been told that the graphics card is way under powered, I need some input on that.

Thanks in advance to whoever stumbles across this thread and helps me out, I really appreciate it.

-SupersonicXD1

EDIT: When I say CAD, I mean Canadian Dollars, not Computer Assisted Design.

EDIT 2: Fixed some formatting issues. Seems like the mods edited this post, so I fixed some sentence structure issues and such.

Last edited:
But, after getting some very harsh criticism from my friends, I'm starting to question my build's power.
What you're building is probably more powerful than you'll ever need. If you are serious about CAD though you'd want to go with a workstation graphics card. Obviously those are not good for gaming. So what is more important, gaming or CAD ? That is the question you should be asking yourself. If you are ok with High Sierra and want the best CAD experience with about 300 USD to spend get the Quadro P1000 card. If gaming is what you'll mostly be doing then get the RX580.

What you're building is probably more powerful than you'll ever need. If you are serious about CAD though you'd want to go with a workstation graphics card. Obviously those are not good for gaming. So what is more important, gaming or CAD ? That is the question you should be asking yourself. If you are ok with High Sierra and want the best CAD experience with about 300 USD to spend get the Quadro P1000 card. If gaming is what you'll mostly be doing then get the RX580.
First off, you know when I say CAD I mean the Canadian currency, not a 3D software of sorts, right?
Second, although I am doing some light workstation stuff like some Final Cut, Word, and GarageBand, this is a GAMING CENTRIC build, I’d rather have gaming power rather than workstation power, so I will probably go with the RX580.
Lastly, do you know much about compatibility regarding the Trident Z RGB RAM? That’s the thing I’m most concerned about. Thanks so much for your hard work on this fourm.

First off, you know when I say CAD I mean the Canadian currency, not a 3D software of sorts, right?
Sorry, I had no idea you meant Canadian dollars. No need for a Quadro then. I only think of Computer Assisted Design when I see those three capital letters. $1500 to me only means US dollars.

Trident Z RAM compatibility with your chosen motherboard can be checked with the G-Skill configurator to match the best compatibility with your board/RAM

The software is Windows only as macs don't run RGB RAM modules. You may find that you can control/setup RGB from Windows or your motherboard BIOS and it will remain on the same settings.

Second, although I am doing some light workstation stuff like some Final Cut, Word, and GarageBand, this is a GAMING CENTRIC build, I’d rather have gaming power rather than workstation power, so I will probably go with the RX580.
Lastly, do you know much about compatibility regarding the Trident Z RGB RAM? That’s the thing I’m most concerned about. Thanks so much for your hard work on this fourm.

It's best to check with Gigabyte's QVL (Qualified Vendor's List) for RAM compatibility.

A few months back, I had to RMA some Trident Z RAM and it was a pretty slow process with sporadic communications from G.Skill. I ask if they had any advanced replacement program where I would pay for a replacement set of RAM and be refunded after they receive the defective set that I would send back to them and they said they don't do that... So, I was left without RAM for close to two weeks.

Trident Z RAM compatibility with your chosen motherboard can be checked with the G-Skill configurator to match the best compatibility with your board/RAM

The software is Windows only as macs don't run RGB RAM modules. You may find that you can control/setup RGB from Windows or your motherboard BIOS and it will remain on the same settings.
I know that macOS won't control RGB RAM lighting, I'm more concerned with the basic functionality of the RAM itself. I'll check out that website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back