i3
Graphics
Motherboard graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone built anything yet close in specs to the 12 Core Mac Pros? I'd be interested in the components chosen.

On Youtube there was one, a Dual Xeon system, probably cost the guy an arm and a leg more than even rabbit74's 980X box! When I find the video again, I will post the link here.

Tom

I don't think that video is really of a 12 core system though. The P6X58D is a single-chip board, and the W3680 is a 6-core chip. Plus, at 1:18 he opens up the hardware profiler, and it displays "Total Number of Cores: 6".

I've read some stuff on other forums about people having luck with Super Micro's line of dual proc boards.

steenbag said:
I don't think that video is really of a 12 core system though. The P6X58D is a single-chip board, and the W3680 is a 6-core chip. Plus, at 1:18 he opens up the hardware profiler, and it displays "Total Number of Cores: 6".

I've read some stuff on other forums about people having luck with Super Micro's line of dual proc boards.

Wow, you can read that? Ok, well, perhaps it is not a 12 pysical core computer, but the way to do that would be to get an Intel Server Board, for Dual Xeons, and spend lots of money to get two of the Xeon processors with 6 cores each.

Tom

What is interesting is that a Mac Pro with the two 2.66 Westmere 6 core processors and 6 gig of Ram with the Radeon HD 5770 graphics card is now $5000 retail. The processors cost over $1000 each on New Egg and most boards are at least $500 from what I can find so these components alone are close to $3000. When you add a case, power supply, DVD drive, CPU coolers, memory and hard drive you are $3500-$4000 so the gap is really narrowing between building it or buying it. For what it's worth, in my opinion the cost of components needs to come way down on this level of equipment before it becomes economical to build one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back