RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Very strange development, has happened twice now. I installed a fresh version of Monterey 12.3 on a separate partition of an internal SATA drive, so I could test graphics etc without jeopardizing the 12.2.1 installation on my internal SSD.

Am using OpenCore 0.7.9 and I added the config.plist edits for my RX 6800 suggested in another thread here on tonymac.

12.3 successfully installed and I used Geekbench to confirm that the config.plist edits had worked to restore my usual Metal results.

I switched StartupDisk preference pane back to my usual SSD, booted back into 12.2.1 and did some office work last eve, then shut down.

Today on bootup in 12.2.1, I noticed my 12.3 partition did not mount on my desktop. I used DiskUtility to mount it, but I now see its Applications folder is completely empty of all Apple apps. except for Safari (which has a bar thru it possibly because I'm viewing it from 12.2.1?) See attached screenshot. The Utilities folder is also completely empty.

This is now the second time this has occurred. I'm hesitant to try booting back up in 12.3 but will wait for any advice here, thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 11.07.09 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 11.07.09 AM.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 26
Boot in 12.3 and check your apps folder. This has been so since Big Sur. Example, I am now booted into my Monterey disk and when I go to view my Big Sure disk Application folder I can not see anything but Safari and the Big Sur Utilities folder which contains nothing. However if I boot into Big Sure, all the apps are there.

Phew! I can't believe I've never noticed that before, but of course you're right. I even have BigSur on an external drive but there are so many 3rd-party apps in it I've never noticed the Apple ones were missing when viewed from Monterey.

I guess 12.3 has been giving me so many fits I've gotten a bit neurotic about it. Just now discovered the “e1000=0” trick to getting my I225-V to stop causing boot loops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back