Contribute
Register

10.9.4 Kernel Panic After Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, just me being stupid. Thought you meant in the installation guide or in comments for the 10.9.4 update guide.

Yes, I followed the instructions. I have tried twice now, the second time, as mentioned, I tried to install the Probook Installer when booting from my cloned drive to the 10.9.4 updated drive. Same result each time.

Could it be hardware related? I replaced the Wifi pcie card with the HP branded as recommended and also have a second hd drive where the DVD drive was. No problems at all in 10.9.3 and as I mentioned, I updated my desktop to 10.9.4 without issue.

Sorry, just me being stupid. Thought you meant in the installation guide or in comments for the 10.9.4 update guide.

Yes, I followed the instructions. I have tried twice now, the second time, as mentioned, I tried to install the Probook Installer when booting from my cloned drive to the 10.9.4 updated drive. Same result each time.

Boot to your 10.9.4 drive using Unibeast USB (with "-f" as written in the instructions). Then use the latest ProBook Installer to install 'OS X support kexts'. No need to involve a clone...

Rehabman, thanks for the easy fix. I recommend adding the -s flag also just in case anything els is going--it also gives some peace of mind to know your hack is actually working on something and not hanging up

Rehabman, thanks for the easy fix. I recommend adding the -s flag also just in case anything els is going--it also gives some peace of mind to know your hack is actually working on something and not hanging up

Perhaps you mean the -v (verbose) flag instead of -s (single user). I think most people would wonder WTF when they see the single user mode command line.

Fixed. 4th time did the trick for some strange reason.

Many thanks to all who posted with help.

Fixed. 4th time did the trick for some strange reason.

Many thanks to all who posted with help.

Using a 10.9.2 USB UniBeast install drive, I couldn't boot to get my 10.9.3 update to work for the same issue with kernel panic; so, I ended up reinstalling it with a newly created 10.9.3 USB UniBeast install and had no problem. Now, with 10.9.4, I faced the same issue with updating from a 10.9.3 install until I figured out the problem--something to do with my flash drive. I think it is a USB issue since the only way I could get to the desktop so I could run the ProBook installer without completely reinstalling was by removing the USB drive before the system started loading the desktop.

I noticed that just before the desktop tried to load, there was some kind of final communication with the USB drive and then no further loading took place. The drive would always stop flashing just before the desktop would freeze. It appears that there must be an issue with some file(s) preventing the desktop loading since the same drive loads the desktop if I do a fresh install. Could there be some conflict between the install of an older installer and the new updates? Remember, in both cases of upgrading, I was running the previous build on my USB drive while booting to run the ProBook installer.

I am asking the question and detailing the issue in the chance that it may help someone else.

FYI: I used the -f flag as recommended, as well as other relevant flags when trying to boot.

Using a 10.9.2 USB UniBeast install drive, I couldn't boot to get my 10.9.3 update to work for the same issue with kernel panic; so, I ended up reinstalling it with a newly created 10.9.3 USB UniBeast install and had no problem. Now, with 10.9.4, I faced the same issue with updating from a 10.9.3 install until I figured out the problem--something to do with my flash drive. I think it is a USB issue since the only way I could get to the desktop so I could run the ProBook installer without completely reinstalling was by removing the USB drive before the system started loading the desktop.

I noticed that just before the desktop tried to load, there was some kind of final communication with the USB drive and then no further loading took place. The drive would always stop flashing just before the desktop would freeze. It appears that there must be an issue with some file(s) preventing the desktop loading since the same drive loads the desktop if I do a fresh install. Could there be some conflict between the install of an older installer and the new updates? Remember, in both cases of upgrading, I was running the previous build on my USB drive while booting to run the ProBook installer.

It shouldn't really matter provided you're using the correct flags when you boot your install on the HDD using the USB.

Yes, I know, but I found it weird. I spent several hours trying to get it to work. I was determined to not reinstall again after my experience with the previous upgrade. I have only had this problem with updating to the last two updates: 10.9.3-4.

With the next update, I will use another drive to see if I have the same issue.

Just so, you know, I always follow the same steps in the tutorial and use the USB 2.0 slots during installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back