Contribute
Register

10.9.2 , freezing while working without a reason !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to test your system's ram to make sure none of the DIMMS are faulty.
You could run memtest or other apps or just remove some of the DIMMS and then add
them back one at a time to see if that has any effect on the freezing. We've seen a lot
of this problem on GA Haswell boards where all the DIMM slots are filled but not much
of it on IVY Bridge systems like yours. Report back what you find out.

Remember that the RAM problem in GA Z87 based systems occurs when more than 2 dimms are in used while the RAM is not faulty. It's been solved by increasing 3 voltage values in BIOS (System Agent, IO Analog and IO Digital) by +0,2v. Ultimately, the latest BIOS also helped solve the problem, in my case, BIOS F9a.

I'm using a z87x-ud5h and had the ram problem until recently, having to use only 16Gb of the 32Gb that I bought. After increasing the voltages and upgrading BIOS to F9a, I'm using 32Gb and it's completely stable ....Only until I updated to 10.9.2. My system would freeze in a very similar way as with the RAM problem with the only difference that the mouse cursor would move and sometimes audio wouldn't stop. I time machined back to 10.9.1 and the problem is gone. Hope someone finds a solution for the 10.9.2 system freezing.

That'll drive you crazy. You'll most likely roll back to 10.9.1 if the freezing continues, trust me, it gets to one's nerves quickly.

I can't believe a problem like this one isn't big enough for the community to acknowledge it. It really looks as it's as simple as 10.9.1=stable and 10.9.2=unusable for some of us. The system freezes shortly after booting. Sometimes the mouse cursor will still move and sometimes even music will continue playing. No error messages, no nothing.

Remove 2 of the RAM sticks (leaving a MAX of 2 dimms on your motherboard)

It's a well known Haswell issue .. Z87 boards ...

I don't think anyone resolved it YET .. however .. seems like HACKINTOSH machines
that are Z87 based (Gigabyte mostly) have a FREEZE issue with more than 2 Dimms installed.

Try it .,, probably gonna work ... HOWEVER ... I guess if you wanna get into Voltage tweaking
(I don't know a lot about that) .. it might help stabalize the system

OTHERS have lowered the ram speed to 1300Mhz and have reported a stable system (leaving all 4 dimms inside)

G'Luck !

It wasn't the same issue. The 4 Dimm problem happened on earlier BIOS versions on any Operating System. Temporary solutions involved voltage increases (System Agent, IO Analogue and IO Digital +0,200v), and they worked for most of us. After that, they released some BETA bios that solved the problem without the need to increase voltages. I've been using this system with 32Gb of ram on 4 sticks perfectly for some months now.

The 10.9.2 freeze was different and didn't get solved by using only 2 dimms. Somehow I did fix it, but it involved some time machine and rolling back to 10.9.1 and then updating to 10.9.2 again using a different method. I'm also using the latest Nvidia web driver. So I've no idea what it is that solved it for me. All I know is that, after a somewhat problematic week, I am now using 10.9.2 on an overclocked 4770K/Z87X-UD5H with maxed out RAM and getting work done with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back