Graphics
hd3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a probook 4350s. I put in a 1080p screen, 16 GB Ram, SSD, harddisk in CDROM bay, etc. I remember tweaking and reinstalling OSX over several weeks until everything worked smoothly - webcam, audio, SD reader, USB3, 1080p screen, etc. Was happy and made a disk image.

I kind of want to update to 10.8.5. I read RehabMan's instructions in the "Update" section, but I remember not using the probook installer when I first did this. I wish I had documented my process better but I remember I pieced together bunch of kexts from all over until it all worked. The probook installer didn't work for me. I am hesitant to try the procedure because it involves the probook installer.

I see people with kernel panics and I am wondering if I should just not bother? Other than xcode 5 which requires >=10.8.4, I don't really have a good reason to upgrade.

I have a probook 4350s. I put in a 1080p screen, 16 GB Ram, SSD, harddisk in CDROM bay, etc. I remember tweaking and reinstalling OSX over several weeks until everything worked smoothly - webcam, audio, SD reader, USB3, 1080p screen, etc. Was happy and made a disk image.

I kind of want to update to 10.8.5. I read RehabMan's instructions in the "Update" section, but I remember not using the probook installer when I first did this. I wish I had documented my process better but I remember I pieced together bunch of kexts from all over until it all worked. The probook installer didn't work for me. I am hesitant to try the procedure because it involves the probook installer.

I see people with kernel panics and I am wondering if I should just not bother? Other than xcode 5 which requires >=10.8.4, I don't really have a good reason to upgrade.

Why not just try a fresh install following the guide to a spare partition. You can try it and see if it works for you. I have a feeling that if you follow the instructions, you'll end up with a better result than you have now.

Why not just try a fresh install following the guide to a spare partition. You can try it and see if it works for you. I have a feeling that if you follow the instructions, you'll end up with a better result than you have now.

I'm not sure what you mean by a spare partition? Use disk utility to partition the SSD and install there?

Can I alternatively: back up my partition with disk utility and restore using a boot USB if the upgrade doesn't go well?

I'm not sure what you mean by a spare partition? Use disk utility to partition the SSD and install there?

Can I alternatively: back up my partition with disk utility and restore using a boot USB if the upgrade doesn't go well?

I'm pretty confident everything would work using the giude as it is and probook installer, it really makes the process simple.

It also sounds to me that perhaps you didnt do the DSDT for your laptop, the reason you had to find kexts , I could be wrong of course..

I have an SSD, hdd in caddy, others have 16gb ram, 1080p screens, everything works.

I'd try what RM said, try a dummy install without loss of data using another HDD if you have a spare in your caddy, or by partitioning one that doesn't already have OSX on it, if your concerned about data loss, remove your osx hdd whilst you do it.

Carve off some space from your main partition and create a new partition for a fresh install to test. You only need about 20-30GB to install ML.

You could do a backup as well, and of course having a backup is always a good idea anyway. But for a test, having an extra partition to test with is slightly easier/safer.

I'm pretty confident everything would work using the giude as it is and probook installer, it really makes the process simple.

It also sounds to me that perhaps you didnt do the DSDT for your laptop, the reason you had to find kexts , I could be wrong of course..

I have an SSD, hdd in caddy, others have 16gb ram, 1080p screens, everything works.

I'd try what RM said, try a dummy install without loss of data using another HDD if you have a spare in your caddy, or by partitioning one that doesn't already have OSX on it, if your concerned about data loss, remove your osx hdd whilst you do it.

What options should I choose in the installer for 1080p, wifi and bluetooth, audio, USB3? What about SSDT? Do I need to have those checked as well. In short, I should run the proinstaller as if I'm installing for the first time?

What options should I choose in the installer for 1080p,

Have you replaced the stock screen in your 4530s with a 1080p screen?

Do you have Atheros AR9285 Wifi?

and bluetooth, audio, USB3?

There are no selections for these... they are automatically installed with "OSX support kexts."

What about SSDT? Do I need to have those checked as well.

"Those?" There is only one option for SSDT, and yes it should be checked.

In short, I should run the proinstaller as if I'm installing for the first time?

I thought you were installing to a separate partition as a test. If so, then you are running the ProBook Installer for the first time.

Also, make sure you are following the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back