Graphics
hd3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I noticed that instead of turning the fan on, the computer throttles the CPU back when CPU temperature reaches around 100 F. Obviously I would rather have the fans come on instead of losing performance. I applied the "original" and "quiet" fan patches from probook installer 6.1.6 beta. The original turns on upon reboot and will stay on as long as the CPU temperature > ambient. But once the fan is off, it does not come back no matter what. The quiet fan has never turned on in 10.8.3. It turned on upon reaching 98-99 F in 10.8.4, but that version has its own problems so I went back to 10.8.3.

Help?

I noticed that instead of turning the fan on, the computer throttles the CPU back when CPU temperature reaches around 100 F. Obviously I would rather have the fans come on instead of losing performance.

I haven't noticed anything like that. What are you using to determine the throttling?

I applied the "original" and "quiet" fan patches from probook installer 6.1.6 beta. The original turns on upon reboot and will stay on as long as the CPU temperature > ambient.

That's not what it does (it is not dependent on ambient temperature), but OK...

But once the fan is off, it does not come back no matter what.

That is a little strange. Maybe do an EC reset.

The quiet fan has never turned on in 10.8.3. It turned on upon reaching 98-99 F in 10.8.4, but that version has its own problems so I went back to 10.8.3.

The quiet fan patch will not turn the fan on until CPU heatsink temperature is above 50 C (122 F).

You can read about how the fan patches work in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

I haven't noticed anything like that. What are you using to determine the throttling?

I used HW monitor. The temps kept rising and the fans didn't spin up from minimum level at all so the CPU throttled to 1.8 GHz or lower and temps were around 100F.

Anyway. Somehow I fixed it by installing other options in the Installer, including OSX support kexts, DSDT generator/patcher, SSDT generator, optional HW fixes, and Misc fixes. The only thing that I left out was the System definitions. Everything works. Fan now spins up and down gradually. I can run the CPU at full with turbo boost too. Volume and brightness buttons all work (no fn key required!). This is pretty perfect so I think I might keep 10.8.3 for a while. No upgrade to 10.8.5.

I used HW monitor. The temps kept rising and the fans didn't spin up from minimum level at all so the CPU throttled to 1.8 GHz or lower and temps were around 100F.

But what were you doing at the time with the computer. Are you sure the CPU didn't throttle down to x18 simply because the CPU wasn't very busy?

Anyway. Somehow I fixed it by installing other options in the Installer, including OSX support kexts, DSDT generator/patcher, SSDT generator, optional HW fixes, and Misc fixes. The only thing that I left out was the System definitions. Everything works. Fan now spins up and down gradually. I can run the CPU at full with turbo boost too. Volume and brightness buttons all work (no fn key required!). This is pretty perfect so I think I might keep 10.8.3 for a while. No upgrade to 10.8.5.

It is probably best that you read/follow the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

I was running 8 instances of "yes" in the terminal.

I was running 8 instances of "yes" in the terminal.

I haven't noticed any throttling because of fan speed. BIOS difference? However, you always have the choice of no change to fan behavior.

I can't get past the error message that the combo update throws up at the end for both 10.8.4 and 10.8.5. I think a few others have reported this problem too.

Then you have a problem with the set of kexts on your system.

To troubleshoot:
- run Console.app and view system.log
- run Kext Wizard and rebuild caches
- monitor system.log for errors from kextcache during the cache rebuild

It says:

com.apple.kextcache[5689]: /: no supported helper partitions to update.

It says:

com.apple.kextcache[5689]: /: no supported helper partitions to update.

That looks clean. Must be something else. You should probably examine your install.log to determine the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back