Register

10.8.2 Install Keeps Going Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Basically I have what was a great stable build for years. However, it has recently developed a problem where it will, upon resuming the screen (just the screen not the system) from sleep, it cannot launch any programs and will beachball. Then it will freeze up. Doing a hard reset results in the system being unbootable. There is no error message, it just stops at:

"FIPS USER Space POST Success!"

Full system specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ASUS P5G41C-M LX
8800 GTS
1TB HDD
2x4GB DDR3 1600

I suspected a possible hardware failure so I replaced the PSU. When that didn't work I replace the 1TB HDD with a 256GB SSD. When that didn't work I replaced the RAM but the capacity was too large for the older motherboard so I reinstalled the old RAM but removed one DIMM as a test with the intention of swapping for the other if it didn't help.

I've given up on the hardware though because I no longer think its the problem.

The last time I restored the system from a Time a Machine backup I noticed it was fine. I rebooted it and ran progames. Everything was fine up until the point I connected it to the network giving it internet access and allowed the screen to go into suspend mode.

Each time I have restored the system from a backup I was sure to turn off automatic updates so I'm not sure what's going on but I think at this point that my oldest backups must have had a security update (or something) downloaded and it's screwing the system when it becomes idle (screen suspend).

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Oct.

Just a little update.

I've played with it for a while and I don't seem to be making any headway. Each time I do a restore it would simply freeze (eventually) and become unbootable. This was a great install that started off with Snow Leopard and then upgraded to Lion and then Mountain Lion. Whatever the problem is I don't seem to be able to find it and fix it.

So I tried a fresh install of Mavericks and now seemingly have OS X 10.9.4 installed / stable. Most things seem to work but I had a little trouble with the VIA audio. MultiBeast had one failed install of Voodoo audio so I deleted the Kext and rather then risk KP issues I might just try using some USB speakers.

So far so good though,....

I ran the system overnight and no freezes, lookups or suspect behavior,....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back