Motherboard
ASUS Sabertooth X58
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
10.7.5 Upgrade Kernel Panic Interpretation Request

Hello,

After avoiding it for a long time I just installed the Apple 10.7.5 upgrade package (from 10.7.4) and now experiencing KP on restart. I've tried safe mode and a number of other start-up tags (including DSDT=no) but am still getting a panic at the same point in the boot (seemingly related to IOAPIC, hangs at Vectors 88:111). I have found several posts of people encountering similar errors in the forums and they mostly seemed to attribute it to an improper DSDT file. I realize that I may have neglected to do some proper housecleaning before running the upgrade (just allowing it to run like any other upgrade through the Apple Software Update Panel) so maybe that's an issue?

I've attached a shot of the kernel panic - any help interpreting/solving this error would be greatly appreciated. For some reason my 10.7.4 clone drive and my original USB thumb installation drive won't boot properly so this has become a bit more of a crisis than it should be. Any help just getting past this IOAPIC business, even into a safe start-up so I can try to back some things up before attempting a clean install would be very helpful.

Sorry if this has already been covered, none of the solutions I saw for similar issues seemed to work. Thank you very much.

Asus Sabertooth X58 1304
Intel XEON W3680

Attachments

• KERNALPANIC01.jpg
    KERNALPANIC01.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 139
  • kernalpanic02.jpg
    kernalpanic02.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 132
Hello,

After avoiding it for a long time I just installed the Apple 10.7.5 upgrade package (from 10.7.4) and now experiencing KP on restart. I've tried safe mode and a number of other start-up tags (including DSDT=no) but am still getting a panic at the same point in the boot (seemingly related to IOAPIC, hangs at Vectors 88:111). I have found several posts of people encountering similar errors in the forums and they mostly seemed to attribute it to an improper DSDT file. I realize that I may have neglected to do some proper housecleaning before running the upgrade (just allowing it to run like any other upgrade through the Apple Software Update Panel) so maybe that's an issue?

I've attached a shot of the kernel panic - any help interpreting/solving this error would be greatly appreciated. For some reason my 10.7.4 clone drive and my original USB thumb installation drive won't boot properly so this has become a bit more of a crisis than it should be. Any help just getting past this IOAPIC business, even into a safe start-up so I can try to back some things up before attempting a clean install would be very helpful.

Sorry if this has already been covered, none of the solutions I saw for similar issues seemed to work. Thank you very much.

Asus Sabertooth X58 1304
Intel XEON W3680
Try PCIRootUID=1 cpus=1

Tried it. Same result. Thanks anyway! Maybe that narrows it down?

Tried it. Same result. Thanks anyway! Maybe that narrows it down?
Since the original USB I stallation drive and the clone drive won't boot either I'd say have a look in the bios settings and be sure everything in there is set right disable vt-d, wol s3 sata controller mode is AHCI HPET is 64bit graphic selections is set to onboard or auto audio set to onboard or auto and be sure that the bios settings are right does it seem to give a quick kernel panic and also have you changed the system definitions to a later model

Well, none of the bios settings have changed from when it worked great with 10.7.4, but I double checked all the aforementioned BIOS settings and they seem fine. I do recall changing the system definitions to something like 5,1 a long time ago but I can't be sure, can I change that with a start-up flag?

Also it might be worth mentioning that the other drives hang at "Still waiting for root device" which based on my searches would have a whole new set of solutions.

I definitely have the thing overclocked - is there any reason I should revert to factory settings? Would an overclock be causing this problem even if it worked perfectly with 10.7.4 earlier tonight?

Thanks for the help.

Well, none of the bios settings have changed from when it worked great with 10.7.4, but I double checked all the aforementioned BIOS settings and they seem fine. I do recall changing the system definitions to something like 5,1 a long time ago but I can't be sure, can I change that with a start-up flag?

Also it might be worth mentioning that the other drives hang at "Still waiting for root device" which based on my searches would have a whole new set of solutions.

I definitely have the thing overclocked - is there any reason I should revert to factory settings? Would an overclock be causing this problem even if it worked perfectly with 10.7.4 earlier tonight?

Thanks for the help.
Try SMBIOS=null I changed mine on the laptop in my signature a it messed everything up I recommend using macpro 4,1 if you have a Xeon CPU and something earlier if it's any other kind of CPU

Damn, tried it, still KP at the same point. Thanks anyway. Any other suggestions very welcome! Would there be any reason to reset my bios to default and re-do all the overclock settings or would that just be a waste of time?

I imagine there are some boot flags I still haven't tried?

Damn, tried it, still KP at the same point. Thanks anyway. Any other suggestions very welcome! Would there be any reason to reset my bios to default and re-do all the overclock settings or would that just be a waste of time?

I imagine there are some boot flags I still haven't tried?
It might be a good starting point to atleast rule it out

Thanks, I'll start working my way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back