Contribute
Register

10.7.3 System Update Gone Bad - FIXED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M-D3H-Clover
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 570, 1920x1080
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Long time lurker...

I recently updated to 10.7.3 and everything went fine. Then I started messing around with trying to get the computer to "sleep" and I think I did something really foolish. I started reading the Sleep Golden Thread and decided to remove the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Well, I did this, rebooted and the system came up. I then tried to put the system to sleep and it worked, I was shocked and amazed! When the computer woke back up, I tried it again and that's where things went bad. The monitor went black but the fans would never spin down. I did a hard reboot, I get the white apple screen with the grey logo and the gear just spins and I eventually a circle with a slash through it appears over the logo.

What I've tried...

1. Reboot using unibeast from the initial install of 10.7.2 from a few months ago. I can get into the installer, but I can't see the hard drive that has lion installed on it.
2. Reboot using -s. I get the following output...
rooting via boot-uuid from /chosen: AEF37E30-46B7-3C9A-9B7B-D5ABF72279B9
From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID-"0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
F718x: Fintek: Found unsupported chip ID=0xb3 REVISION=0x53
Still waiting for root device
Still waiting for root device
etc...
3. Reboot using -x. It goes to the white apple screen with the grey logo and the gear just spins. I don't get the circle with the slash through it.

Will updating unibeast to the latest version and using the 10.7.3 installer app help with any of this?

System is
ASUS P7P55D
EVGA Geforce GTS250
MSI 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DH-24AS
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

Re: 10.7.3 System Update Gone Bad

With the "still waiting for root device" issue, which is common in edit: lion with hackintoshes, normally means your machine doesn't want to boot from kernelcache, or that the kernelcache has been corrupted or deleted. Most likely it doesn't use kernelcache or it was corrupted. I have the same issue on my hackintosh where if i boot -f (ignore kernel caches) i get the still waiting for root device. Try booting "-f -v" as flags and see what it returns. I just thought of this but it may be booting with a bad sleepimage which still might be sitting on the hard drive after that bad wake.

Hopefully the attachment worked...

I rebooted using -f -v...

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 350

Hmm... Still doesnt seem to be wanting to root from your hd. Burn an rBoot disk and see what you can do.

I finally got it fixed. So not sure why, but the BIOS setting changed my SATA configurations away from AHCI, which is why the hard drive was failing. Thanks for the advice and I learned a lot during this little exercise. :clap:

One thing I never could figure out is how to use rBoot. :banghead:

In conclusion, not sure what caused the BIOS to flake out. Though now, I doubt it was the update to 10.7.3, but probably the problems with the Sleep thing I tried.

:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back