Contribute
Register

10.6.8 combo update failing installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX-760
Hi guys,

I previously had a working 10.6.8 installation til my Corsair SSD died. I now want to get to Mountain Lion so I have a new OCZ SSD to get a working SL install on.

I am using exactly the same method and installation files as before. but now after rebooting from installing Update Helper, the 10.6.8 combo update won't install. It just gives the installation failed, contact software provider blurb.

I have reset the date to January 2012 sometime, before the expiry date of the combo update.

It seems to me the Update Helper isn't working possibly?

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi guys,

I previously had a working 10.6.8 installation til my Corsair SSD died. I now want to get to Mountain Lion so I have a new OCZ SSD to get a working SL install on.

I am using exactly the same method and installation files as before. but now after rebooting from installing Update Helper, the 10.6.8 combo update won't install. It just gives the installation failed, contact software provider blurb.

I have reset the date to January 2012 sometime, before the expiry date of the combo update.

Anyone got any ideas?

reppie

Its been reported that their is a expire date on these update files - which will cause a failure to install - and you need to check the file w the get info option on these downloads from Apple - and change date in the system to before that date. From the Clock, not BIOS.
Then run the updater

Also Apple has reset these dates so re-downloading the file from Apple may provide you with a different expire date from prior downloads.

Be advised that Apple Support has different 10.6.8 update files

See this link.

THis is a list of links on the various Apple 10.6.8 updates
http://www.technologytell.com/apple/75574/apple-releases-os-x-1068-supplemental-update/

Hi guys,

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried to redownload the 10.6.8 Combo Update from Apple? I have had a similar issue before about the failure to install the Combo Update. It turns out the update file has expired and a new download from Apple fixed the issue.

thanks for your replies, it wasn't that as I'd set the date to before the file expired. god knows what the problem was but it has kinda worked now.

now i just need to get my ati 5450 and wireless card or usb wireless router working!

If yiu are updating to Mountain Lion why are you bothering with 10.6.8? 10.6.6 will get you the App Store to purchase and download Mountain Lion and that's all you need.

i wasn't entirely sure about that haha, misleading information elsewhere...

also as i only want it to run logic, i've heard conflicting reports of how worth it upgrading to ML will be... however i might still do it for increased compatibility alone as i just can't get my wireless working on SL and i have a gtx 560 i want to use

i wasn't entirely sure about that haha, misleading information elsewhere...

also as i only want it to run logic, i've heard conflicting reports of how worth it upgrading to ML will be... however i might still do it for increased compatibility alone as i just can't get my wireless working on SL and i have a gtx 560 i want to use

reppie

Not sure about the conflicting report for Mountain Lion - but I was able to build a LION install USB drive w the last LION APPLE upgrade USB that was in my local Apple Store and do the upgrade to my #2 Sata Drive which was a 10.6.8 and it went very well - the TonyMac procedure has been updated and make sure you update the Chimera bootloader as well to avoid issues w App store and possibly iCloud.

Thanks I change the clock time, and the update 10.6.8 works on! Good Master!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back