Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just a little easy fix to get full NTFS support in 10.6.3. This will not effect existing W7 installs and works great.

First, uninstall NTFS-3G/Paragon if installed.
Open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)
Type "diskutil info /Volumes/volume_name" and copy the Volume UUID (bunch of numbers).
Backup /etc/fstab if you have it, shouldn't be there in a default install.
Type "sudo nano /etc/fstab".
Type in "UUID=paste_the_uuid_here none ntfs rw" or "LABEL=volume_name none ntfs rw" (if you don't have UUID for the disk).
Repeat for other NTFS partitions.
Save the file (ctrl-x then y) and restart your system.

After reboot, NTFS partitions should natively have read and write support. This works in both 32 and 64-bit kernels. Support is quite good and fast, it even recognizes file attributes such as hidden files, which can be annoying if you like a clean looking drive. :thumbup:

I know this was possible before 10.6.3 but was known to cause a lot of issues and was very unstable, I wonder if they fixed the problems in 10.6.3

donots06 said:
I know this was possible before 10.6.3 but was known to cause a lot of issues and was very unstable, I wonder if they fixed the problems in 10.6.3

I was just wondering this, too, since it was very problematic in the past. Hope they did!

Been transferring files to and from my W7 partition, with several boots into Windows and back and thus far, zero issues. The only problem I found was for me when I applied this fix(?) is that all of the files on the W7 drive vanished, however after a reboot into W7 all was good again and show up in OS X. I can rename the drive, change icons, add/delete files with no affect on any functionality in Windows or Finder. File transfer speed seems on par with my other SATA drives, so needless to say I am happy.

Works. Thank you for killer tip

So you guys confirm that using 10.6.3, this method is far more reliable than before ?

I tried this, but I have some problems:
I can't get the UUID, so I tried it with "LABEL=", but it doesn't work, I still can't delete/write to NTFS partitions...anyone got a clue what to do?

i used this method :
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186460

but apparently it doesn't work very well.
I tried in 10.6 32 or 64bits, but the drives got messed up very often.
tested again for a week in 10.6.3 : still the same (tested in 64bits only)

the system is freezing after a while, and i can't reboot, the system hangs on the apple logo. I have to boot to windows one time, then reboot in SL to solve the problem each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back