i7-8550U
Graphics
GeForce MX150
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
A shout out to Jake Lo -- great guide for Dell Latitude 7X70 laptops! It took me about an hour or so to get it up and running with 10.15.3 (with minor issues):

CPU: i7-6600U 2.6GHz
GPU: HD 520
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 256GB

I set it up as dual boot with Windows 10, by copying my Clover EFI to the Windows System EFI and adding the following boot option via the BIOS:

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi

The USB flash drive I used with my Catalina install media was using HFS+J, so I added the HFSPlus.efi driver to the initial bootpack.

When I upgraded the laptop to 10.15.4, it hit a graphics firmware loading problem (50 retries and a kernel panic) during the 10.15.4 boot. I used the Clover arg "-disablegfxfirmware" to solve the problem.

I also ran into an issue (hang at the Apple logo) with the 10.15.4 update with Clover 5102 (I was being lazy). Upgrading Clover to 5112 solved the problem. After reading related posts, I recommend using at least Clover 5107+.

The laptop has 3 external USB ports. Only one was working after the initial install. I had to use Hackintool to inject all possible ports and then tested each port with a device. I ended up with 9 live ports (including the internal ports) and after generating and adding USBPorts.kext and the accompanying SSDTs, all of the external ports worked. It also fixed the Bluetooth function.

I'm now trying to see if I can get the touchscreen to work, but that would be icing on the cake. The laptop is working well!

I've provided my Clover files in case anyone might want to use them.

Thanks for a great guide, Jake Lo!

Attachments

• Dell Hackintosh.jpg
    Dell Hackintosh.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 447
  • CLOVER.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 435
I just installed a custom Touch-Base driver for the touchscreen and it works beautifully!

A shout out to Jake Lo -- great guide for Dell Latitude 7X70 laptops! It took me about an hour or so to get it up and running with 10.15.3 (with minor issues):

CPU: i7-6600U 2.6GHz
GPU: HD 520
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 256GB

I set it up as dual boot with Windows 10, by copying my Clover EFI to the Windows System EFI and adding the following boot option via the BIOS:

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi

The USB flash drive I used with my Catalina install media was using HFS+J, so I added the HFSPlus.efi driver to the initial bootpack.

When I upgraded the laptop to 10.15.4, it hit a graphics firmware loading problem (50 retries and a kernel panic) during the 10.15.4 boot. I used the Clover arg "-disablegfxfirmware" to solve the problem.

I also ran into an issue (hang at the Apple logo) with the 10.15.4 update with Clover 5102 (I was being lazy). Upgrading Clover to 5112 solved the problem. After reading related posts, I recommend using at least Clover 5107+.

The laptop has 3 external USB ports. Only one was working after the initial install. I had to use Hackintool to inject all possible ports and then tested each port with a device. I ended up with 9 live ports (including the internal ports) and after generating and adding USBPorts.kext and the accompanying SSDTs, all of the external ports worked. It also fixed the Bluetooth function.

I'm now trying to see if I can get the touchscreen to work, but that would be icing on the cake. The laptop is working well!

I've provided my Clover files in case anyone might want to use them.

Thanks for a great guide, Jake Lo!

I tried using your EFI Folder and can get up and running but i must keep my finger on touchpad and at some point it stops working but not crash. just gets so slow can't do anything, however i started with 10.15.5, not 10.15.3 or 10.15.4. may be the reason. can't imagine they changed that much though

The only problem I had when I upgraded my E7270 to 10.15.4 (and subsequently to 10.15.5) was a problem loading the graphics firmware. Adding "-disablegfxfirmware" to the Clover boot parameters fixed the problem for me.

You may want to try a newer version of the VoodooPS2Controller.kext. There have been new releases since I got my E7270 working. I have not needed to use them, but maybe it will make a difference for you.

Also, check your Mouse settings. Even though it is a trackpad, the trackpad settings do not get activated with the E7270 EFI I provided. The Mouse settings may work for your trackpad and allow you to increase the speed of the cursor.

Last edited:
I just installed a custom Touch-Base driver for the touchscreen and it works beautifully!

Hey can you please suggest what drivers you used, i have E7270, works flawlessly on opencore with Big Sur, just Touchscreen is the issue to be solved.

I solved the problem with a Touch-Base touchscreen driver using the following steps:

(1) Research the vendor ID and product ID and interface type (USB versus I2C) of your touchscreen. Touch-Base will NOT work with I2C devices. For my E7270, the vendor ID is x03EB and the product ID is x8A83 -- I found them using the Windows Device Manager.
(2) Go to https://touch-base.com/download and download and run the Mac version of the UPDD utility (upddui.dmg).
(3) If the UPDD utility automatically detects and determines what your device is, you are golden. If it does not, provide the vendor ID and model ID of the touchscreen and all other system information requested.
(4) Submit a driver request.

Touch-Base sent me a driver within minutes, so they already had a good matching driver for my E7270. You can try it out for 30 days before purchasing it.

Unfortunately, it is pricey. It will cost you $123.50 for the driver plus lifetime warranty/maintenance. $114 for the driver plus 5 years of warranty/maintenance and $104.50 for the driver plus one year of warranty/maintenance. The driver with no warranty or maintenance is $95.

Cheers!

I have the exact same machine! Thank you for the guide. How is the battery life on it under macOS catalina ?I get around 6-7 hours on windows 10

I have not fully tested the battery life, so I do not know how long it will last, but it does not seem short. I have no problem using it for several hours on the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back