Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> 10.14.5/2 fails to boot from USB (xid 1520)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk3

Motherboard
Gigabyte Auros Pro Wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE:

Was finally able to get this working. For other having the same issue, here's what I did:
  • Create install USB per tonymac guidelines
  • If installed, REMOVE GPU(s) from system
  • Follow blouse's Hack Pro guide (minus the Vega portions if you're using a different card)
  • Boot to installer from HDMI on the motherboard and install Mojave.
  • Run multibeast or Kextbeast to install necessary kexts
  • Restart from boot drive to make sure it works (depending on your EFI system definition, there may be some visual hiccups while still on iGPU)
  • If it's working, shut down and install GPU(s) - boot and cross your fingers
    • If GPU is an XFX brand with incompatible vBIOS (constant kernel panic), flashing the vBIOS to a different manufacturer worked for me. I chose a Gigabyte vBIOS since my motherboard is gigabyte. You could also try to load the vBIOS via clover, but I didn't try this route.

In the end, this is what worked for me. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Motherboard: Gigabyte Auros Pro Wifi
CPU: Intel 8700K
GFX: XFX Radeon RX 580

New build, trying to follow this guide, however the USB installer gets hung up around "checkpoint xid 1520" every time. I've also tried booting from my former Mojave SSD with no luck (semi-working in my old rig with nvidia gfx).

Also tried with my old install USB (10.14.2 with old and revised EFI settings) as well as a newly created USB (10.14.5). Anyone know where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpg
    IMG_2672.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi - I have identical Gigabyte Auros Pro Wifi board so try these two folders. PRE-INSTALL for the usb installer and the POST-INSTALL to place in the EFI partition of the Hard Drive when you reach the Desktop. Of course you'll have to fill in your own S/N, UUID and so on. Good luck

Attachments

• PRE-INSTALL Aorus Pro Z390 EFI - RX580-2.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • POST-INSTALL Aorus Pro Z390 EFI - RX580.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
Getting closer, but still can't reach the Mojave installer. Attached verbose screen is the closest I've come, but always gets hung up on "Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs."

For the most part I've started with various builds using the same, or similar specs, and tweaked when things didn't work.

another common place I often get hung up is on the IntelMausi kext, but most times will continue on after a brief pause.

Not sure where I've gone wrong, or where to go from here other than continuing to make one guess at a time cross my finger.

Attachments

• IMG_2685 copy.jpg
    IMG_2685 copy.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Did you add this (attached driver) in the Driver64UEFI folder - use it instead of any other Clover memory fixes also check your BIOS settings again incase you missed something. I don't understand why it is proving so hard for your install after all our boards are identical albeit for the CPU you should at least reach the desktop.

Attachments

• OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
    17.8 KB · Views: 50
Agreed! I started with the default multibeast setup, then replaced the EFI folder with the one from the Pre-install folder you attached (changed IDs). From there has been trial and error (well, only error) of different EFI setups, different config options, making sure clover is up to date on the USB, and updating individual kexts to the latest version.

May try wiping the USB and starting over with your EFI setup again this evening.

Reading through Psedog's build thread using very similar components, and someone linked a post on r/hackintosh about the XFX GPUs not working well with Apple, which of course is the GPU I'm trying to use. Anyone have thoughts for getting that to work? Supposedly it only affects the RX 560 and not the RX 580s in mine, but at this point I'll try anything.

Will try to remove the card and see if I can get it to boot that way, but will need to figure out how to get the GPUs to work with Mojave. Which hopefully doesn't involve flashing the XFX Cards with a Sapphire ROM.

Edit: Unplugged the GPU (XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition for others having this issue) and it booted first try. Installing now and will try to boot/figure out how to boot with cards installed once I have a working Mojave Drive.

Last edited:
Hey did you need to change any EFI settings or BIOS settings in order to boot with the iGPU vs. the dGPU? I assume you at least had to change a setting in the BIOS if you (like me) had disabled the iGPU in BIOS?

Also congratulations! That's very exciting!

Thanks! I was lazy and didn't change anything with the BIOS or the EFI. Got lucky and it booted first try.

Still need to go back and make sure everything is working (and try to boot with GPUs installed). I used either psedog or blouse's recommended BIOS settings and the default unibeast EFI. And esafeddie’s config.plist

After installing and booting into mojave I updated the kexts and UEFI64 per esafeddie’s uploaded efi in this thread, mixed with blouse’s from that build thread.

Once I get everything setup, I’ll post a more detailed version. Really the secret for me was just to remove the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back