Contribute
Register

10.11.6 working but GTX970 died. How to substitute with Pascal card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530 + GTX 1060 + RTX 3060
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
HI,
3 years ago I successfully build my first Build based on i7-6700, 16GB ram, GTX970 and osx 10.11.6 and Windows 7 pro.

It worked like a charm in both OS, but in the last 2 months the "new" monitor LG Ultrawide started going off "no signal" in the middle of a game. Restarting was fixing the problem for a while.
Thought it was the monitor, so I ordered a new LG curved ultrawide from Amazon to test, it went off after 2hrs gaming.
No way! Then I found so many threads on same problem with gtx970 and a solution to update firmware with a Nvidia patch made to fix this problem.
In the same time I installed on win a gpu utility "GPU Z" that give you a detailed graph/data on gpu state and one of the warning was "gpu capped due to inconsistent power" or something like that.

After applying Nvidia patch (on win) it worked nicely until yesterday, when first the monitor went off "no signal", restarted, played another battle and this time went off all pc...
After checking cables, power cable, and other test I discovered that if I wasn't connecting the power unit's cables to the GPU the pc would start normally, of course with Intel graphics set in bios.

I do not want to upgrade to whatever new 10.xx I don't even like 10.11 but I had to accept it to make this build working. So the question is: I could find here on Amazon only Gtx 1050 or 1060. Can I install it on my build? Do I have to install an Alternate Nvidia Driver, if yes which one? Or do I have to re-install all Mac os or just do any modification to Clover or something like that?

I really hope you can help me guys, I'm "happy" with win 7 and 10.11, don't let me go for those recent rubbish disgusting new OS on both sides! :lol:

Thank you!

HI,
3 years ago I successfully build my first Build based on i7-6700, 16GB ram, GTX970 and osx 10.11.6 and Windows 7 pro.

It worked like a charm in both OS, but in the last 2 months the "new" monitor LG Ultrawide started going off "no signal" in the middle of a game. Restarting was fixing the problem for a while.
Thought it was the monitor, so I ordered a new LG curved ultrawide from Amazon to test, it went off after 2hrs gaming.
No way! Then I found so many threads on same problem with gtx970 and a solution to update firmware with a Nvidia patch made to fix this problem.
In the same time I installed on win a gpu utility "GPU Z" that give you a detailed graph/data on gpu state and one of the warning was "gpu capped due to inconsistent power" or something like that.
After applying Nvidia patch (on win) and it worked nicely until yesterday, when first the monitor went off "no signal", restarted Played another battle and this time went off all pc...
After checking cables, power cable, and other test I discovered that if I wasn't connecting the GPU the pc would start normally, of course with Intel graphics set in bios.

I do not want to upgrade to whatever new 10.xx I don't even like 10.11 but I had to accept it to make this build working. So the question is: I could find here on Amazon only Gtx 1050 or 1060. Can I install it on my build? Do I have to install an Alternate Nvidia Driver, if yes which one? Or do I have to re-install all Mac os or just do any modification to Clover or something like that?

I really hope you can help me guys, I'm "happy" with win 7 and 10.11, don't let me go for those recent rubbish disgusting new OS on both sides! :lol:

Thank you!

Thank you!

If you want to use a Pascal card like GTX 1050 or GTX 1060, then you MUST upgrade to MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 or High Sierra 10.13.6, as the Nvidia drivers for these cards only work with Sierra and High Sierra.

If you want to stay with El Capitan, go and find a GTX 9xx card instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back