Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone –

After going through dozens of forum pages, everything is starting to look Greek to me. I would really appreciate some help. Here’s what I’m working with:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
CPU: Intel i5-6500
Graphics: Asus Strix Geforce GTX970

Basically, I built the same machine as the guy on this page: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.11.3

However, I can’t get El Capitan installed on the machine. I followed the instruction for prepping a USB install disk using Unibeast (downloaded just a week ago) in UEFI mode. Admittedly, my version of El Capitan install may be 10.11.0, but my laptop won’t let me download the current version for some reason.

I have followed the instructions from the start of this thread several ways. My first step was to deal with the BIOS.

I tried the simple solution from #0, using the downloaded config.plist file with USBInjectAll.kext in the 10.10 and 10.11 folders. I got to the Clover boot menu, the Apple logo appeared, and then reboot.

I tried all the other config.plist changes recommended in this guide, except for the Nvidia patch, and the same thing happens.

I’ve tried inserting the iMac SYMBIOS, and that just got me a big no sign.

After playing around with a bunch of stuff, I still can’t get the install to work. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong or missing? I’m kind of at my wit’s end.

I mapped all the ports, generated the ASL, disabled unused ports and USB 3.0 is working as expected... Except..

If i insert an USB 2.0 device into the USB 3.0 ports, they don't work at all - is there some way i can make it backwards compatible?

Gigabyte Z170 HD3

Admittedly, my version of El Capitan install may be 10.11.0, but my laptop won’t let me download the current version for some reason.
This is key here, you have to get version 10.11.4, skylake support came to play there so don't bother until you figure how to get that version.

This is key here, you have to get version 10.11.4, skylake support came to play there so don't bother until you figure how to get that version.

Thank you! I found the problems and now have 10.11.4 installed and the machine boots up. I've also used MultiBeast with Quick Start.

However, I'm still having some problems with my GPU and my Ethernet.

My GPU is a ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 4GB. I downloaded the latest Nvidia Driver as instructed by this guide. It's installed, but will only give me the option to use OS X drivers in System Preferences. When I unlock and change it to use the Web Drivers, it restarts, but stays on the OS X drivers. I can't seem to change it. Oh, and I'm hooked up via DVI.

I used KextBeast to install the latest AppleIntelE1000e.kext for Ethernet. The OS still won't recognize the ethernet port.

I'm excited that I've gotten this far. Is there more I should be doing with MultiBeast? Can anyone help bring me across the finish line? Thank you in advance for your help.

To repeat a couple other important system pieces:
Mobo: GA-170XP-SLI
16 GB RAM (recognized by the mobo)

Last edited:
My clover is stuck at boot when installing. After this screenshot, the screen goes back to apple logo with progress bar (although I booted in verbose mode). The progress bar is at 0% and doesn't move.

IMG_0721.JPG

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
OS X 10.11.4
Followed instructions here. Attached are clover configurator screenshots. Any ideas? Thanks.
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.18.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.18.52 PM.png

Last edited:
My clover is stuck at boot. After this screenshot, the screen goes back to apple logo with progress bar (although I booted in verbose mode). The progress bar is at 0% and doesn't move.

View attachment 194236
Hi, i have the same hardware. Try the fix airport option. If not, I can provide my configuring.plist if you want.

Hi, i have the same hardware. Try the fix airport option. If not, I can provide my configuring.plist if you want.

Would appreciate if you could share your config.plist. Thanks!
Enabling "fix airport" leads to a kernel panic.

Last edited:
Audio is not working, 100 Series audio
Network is not working, AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.3
So I just solved both of these.
Network----> On the Asus Maximus VIII HERO motherboard use the AppleIntelE1000e version 3.3.2 not the newer 3.3.3
Audio-------> I did not know that you need to install both the ALC1150 and the 100 Series Audio kexts

Now all the basics are working.

Well sleep is not, the screens are black when it wakes up but for now I'll just set it not to sleep. Unless somebody has an idea what to do. I have an AMD graphics card.

Now all the basics are working.

Well sleep is not, the screens are black when it wakes up but for now I'll just set it not to sleep. Unless somebody has an idea what to do. I have an AMD graphics card.
AMD graphics cards do not properly wake up from sleep. So, for now, don't let it sleep. (Works OK on my Mac Pro, but something won't let it wake from sleep properly on a hack.)

Thank you for the great guide.
Could you please check section 7.2.2. Constructing SSDT.

Your description says to use code 3 for USB3 connector type a, or USB3 motherboard header, why is it code 255 in the example bellow?

From your description "255 if it's an internal Bluetooth device or other "proprietary" type of connector".

So, is it a just typo or I didn't understand your discription right?

"HS01", Package() // USB2 device on port #1 from USB3 motherboard header, port <01 00 00 00>
{
"UsbConnector", 255,
"port", Buffer() { 0x01, 0, 0, 0 },
},
"HS02", Package() // USB2 device on port #2 from USB3 motherboard header, port <02 00 00 00>
{
"UsbConnector", 255,
"port", Buffer() { 0x02, 0, 0, 0 },

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back