Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

As above, I would also appreciate an update to this starter guide in light of 10.11.4. The release notes on this website for the update state that APIC fix is no longer needed, but a bit more detail would be great. Does all of it still apply aside from the APIC fix, which we omit? The USB fixes and so forth?

Thanks!

Nothing you do following this guide should break anything, but now the guide should be able to be made somewhat simpler. We just have a lot of things to re-test and then we will post a streamlined guide based on a minimum of 10.11.4.

Hi, I'm running a Core i3 6100 on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI board with 16gb crucial sport ddr4 2400 and a geforce gtx 960. I've gone through the list of the skylake fixes and applied them to my plist and added the nvidia fix from a linked post and i'm getting a kernel panic when i try to boot from usb to install. i have also put the usb inject and the new ethernet driver kexts into the 10.10 and 10.11 folders on the efi partition. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 136
  • config.plist
    4.8 KB · Views: 240
Hello everyone,

My build is based on Skylake with Asus Maximus VIII Gene, i7-6700K and Asus Strix GTX970, SMBIOS=iMac14,2. OSX 10.11.3 and NVIDIA web driver were installed successfully.

The problem is that the system only boots properly with nv_disable=1. However, the system always reboots at 75% progress with nvda_drv=1. I have attached the relevant portion of the kernel panic below. Seems related to WindowServer process but I have no idea how to solve it...
Take a look at my GENE User Build Description (link in signature block). It might help you work through your problem.

i just finished my first build and i am having some problems getting to the instillation page. after hitting enter on clover the mac symbol shows up, a couple of seconds later a loading bar pops up and than the whole thing freezes up and i have to restart. i tried booting into safe mode and it starts to load and than crashes with this on the screen
IMG_0925.jpg
i tried everything in the guide multiple ways with the same result and could really use some advise
my build is a gigabyte g1.sniper B7 and a 6600k with 16gb of ram

Hi, I'm running a Core i3 6100 on a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI board with 16gb crucial sport ddr4 2400 and a geforce gtx 960. I've gone through the list of the skylake fixes and applied them to my plist and added the nvidia fix from a linked post and i'm getting a kernel panic when i try to boot from usb to install. i have also put the usb inject and the new ethernet driver kexts into the 10.10 and 10.11 folders on the efi partition. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you been able to solve this? I have the same problem on my GA-H110M-S2H with a Core i5-6400.

@ammulder
I wanted to thank you personally for this Guide, it did wonders on my rig, I think everything is working except for some irrational behaviour on shutdown (sometimes it restarts) and the known stuff (iMessage, DRM video)

I wonder how you found all that stuff.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers:headbang::headbang::headbang:

maybe disable Serial Port under Super IO Configuration in bios. i solved my problem by doing so.

I just did the 15 usb port limit patch and I was very happy to see that all my usb ports (except for one) were working. Now later in the guide I read that you have to undo the patch and change a whole lot of settings. I was wondering, what exactly the side effects are of leaving it the way it is?

I just figured out the answer to my own question. I was 'not enough power' warnings when plugging in multiple usb devices. Undoing the patch and making sure only the ports needed are added to my system fixed this. So for anyone out there having this problem, you need to perform the steps described at part 7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back