Contribute
Register

10.11.0-10.11.3 Skylake Starter Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skylake Starter Guide

Looks like you're facing the same exact IOBluetoothControlHost kernel panic as those of us with the Z170-A. I've got it to work, but strangely it only boots when I have my Apple Broadcom Bluetooth/Wifi add-in-card plugged in.

If I find anything out, I'll post here.

So just to clarify these Broadcom cards work natively without any IOBluetoothControlHost Kernel Panic?
I have a Z170 UD5 TH.

I have everything working but Wifi and Audio.

Any chance of help with Audio anyone?

I have posted my Config.plist and attempted to add a new entry as a new Key under DSDT.

but perhaps I have entered it wrong I still have no audio with ALC1150?

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.6 KB · Views: 233
Skylake Starter Guide

So just to clarify these Broadcom cards work natively without any IOBluetoothControlHost Kernel Panic?
I have a Z170 UD5 TH.

I have everything working but Wifi and Audio.
I should be specific: it's 100% worth a shot, in my opinion, to try this card out for the IOBluetoothControlHost kernel panic. It works completely native in OS X, as in, no .kext files or patches required. It saw wifi right from the OS X installer.

In Windows, however, you will need a special set of drivers in order for both functions to operate. I can help anyone with that as they need it. The drivers are provided by Apple for use with Bootcamp, but the same concept applies in a normal Windows installation. Have tested it, and it works.

The decision to purchase this card is your choice, I am only here to tell you that I personally have had success with the card, and without it, I get the IOBluetoothControlHost kernel panic.
Any chance of help with Audio anyone?

I have posted my Config.plist and attempted to add a new entry as a new Key under DSDT.

Unfortunately I can not assist you with the audio problem. I use an Apple LED Cinema Display as my monitor, and it uses USB audio; I don't need any patches or .kext files for my audio to work. Sorry!
:silent:

Skylake Starter Guide

Just to clarify a bit, this is not a general problem with all Skylake boards.

Just as two examples, tonymacx86 reports that it works fine to run an Asus Maximus VIII Hero or Gigabyte Z170X without a Bluetooth card installed (though on the Gigabyte the serial port needed to be disabled).

I feel like there's probably another solution out there, though it's fine to buy a Bluetooth card if that fixes the problem for now.

Skylake Starter Guide

but perhaps I have entered it wrong I still have no audio with ALC1150?

You need to enter it inside DSDT, not as a sibling to DSDT.

If you want to confirm whether this patch has taken effect, you can run IORegistryExplorer and look for HDEF and HDAS in the tree on the left (you can just use the search field). The board normally lists HDAS and the purpose of the patch is to rename that entry to HDEF instead.

Skylake Starter Guide

Just to clarify a bit, this is not a general problem with all Skylake boards.

Just as two examples, tonymacx86 reports that it works fine to run an Asus Maximus VIII Hero or Gigabyte Z170X without a Bluetooth card installed (though on the Gigabyte the serial port needed to be disabled).

I feel like there's probably another solution out there, though it's fine to buy a Bluetooth card if that fixes the problem for now.
I'd be willing to bet there is a workaround. It would be ridiculous if OS X absolutely needed a native AIC in order for it to boot some boards.

But for now, like you're saying, if people see the IOBluetoothHostControl panic, it would be a good idea to at least try the card first before quitting.

Skylake Starter Guide

In case the 170-A is an Asus Z170-A.
I tried an install on a Z170-A and it worked flawlessly without any special card.

Described the process here http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...ake-z170-i7-6700k-gtx-980-ti.html#post1172515
Thanks for sharing. I'll check it out and compare, then post any results over in that thread to keep it isolated. I'll keep my Broadcom card unplugged so that it can be replicated.
Ah, so it would be good to try the BIOS settings in that guide, and see if that gets around the Bluetooth panic.
I'll create another Clover USB after clearing the BIOS and let you know what happens.

Skylake Starter Guide

It's not the parameters it's the BIOS.

I tested with 0901 and everything was fine. Using 1302 will crash the system.

I had the sam problem with the K board just the other way round. The error went away with the new version.
I see. I've been testing on 1302. That sounds like it'll work. Although I've never downgraded the BIOS before. Is it the same as upgrading, but flashing the older version?

With my Broadcom card unplugged, I downgraded to 0901 and the OS X installer crashed here followed by a reboot. This was the screen:
IMG_0530.jpg
I'd seen that before when I was first trying to boot the installer on my own. The reason I get that screen is due to the config.plist

I opened up Clover Configurator, and under the "Boot" tab on the sidebar, I selected only "nv_disable=1", "kext-dev-mode=1", (no longer necessary in El Capitan, per @ammulder), and "-v". I also went into the "SMBIOS" tab on the sidebar, and selected Mac Pro 3,1 as my system definition.

With this configuration, as well as using BIOS version 0901, (as crumbier suggested), I was able to boot into the OS X 10.11.2 installer, as well as into my installation.

Thanks so much for helping us solve this issue, brumbaer. Couldn't have done it without you. :clap:

Last edited:
Skylake Starter Guide

Just for the record, kext-dev-mode=1 does nothing on El Capitan. So the only reason to use that is if you're dual-booting Yosemite.
I was unaware of that. Thanks for the link. :thumbup: I've been keeping it on because I was under the impression it was necessary for most other kexts to actually register. Thanks!
Also, the screen shot above doesn't show a panic -- can you get one that does?
With the first config.plist I tried, it would always reboot before the panic. My guess is that is was using the SMBIOS iMac14,2 instead of Mac Pro3,1 that I've had other success with. As soon as I switched it to Mac Pro3,1, it booted like a charm without the Broadcom card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back