Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z390-A
CPU
i5 9600k
Graphics
i5 9600k
I am looking to buy a new gpu and 4k display.

apparently there have been issues with 4k under 10.10.3, so before i buy the gear i have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know if 4k is working well now under 10.10.4 and el capitan (beta)
2. I am considering a gtx 750 ti and dell p2715q, would anyone advise against this?

thanks!

No, i did not see explicit combo's that do work.
but it is confusing to me what the effect of 10.10.3(+) is on some combinations.

Though some people write about problems with nvidia cards (gtx 760) and other say it worked oob with a r9 280 (while as i understand radeon cards should be a problem as of 10.10.3).

also i read i might have to switch smbios. I am now running clover on a imac14.1 definition using hd4600 as the gpu.

before buying the gear i'd just like to see more people having success, so far there are many contradicting experiences. For now i'll closely monitor the various forums before going out and buying hardware.

(hp's 5k display looks very nice as well but so far i think nobody has been able to get this working)

I can confirm 4K works great with 10.10.4, at least on my hardware: dual R9 280X cards and a Philips 4065UC monitor.

In fact, 10.10.3 was only able to do 4K at 30 Hz. Others had reported working 60 Hz, but mine didn't. I suspect that might be due to my 4065UC being in the newer crop of 4K monitors that use SST instead of MST. I had installed SwitchResX and tried many things to get 60 Hz working, all fruitless.

Then after the update 10.10.4, the option for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz magically appeared in SwitchResX. My monitor now says the signal is 60 Hz, and dragging windows around seems more responsive. Admittedly, I'm most use this machine for editing video, where all my source material is 30 Hz from camcorders and screencasts, so the refresh rate wasn't ever a big deal.

4k definitely works.

Thanks,

which 280x card are you using if i may ask?
any chance you have tested one of the 10.11 betas?

I have the Saphire one. Actually, two of them. The only reason I got AMD cards was for FCPX. After install, I hit the boot up troubles. Following these well documented instructions fixed things.

If you're not editing video, the nVidia cards on the buyer's guide might be a better choice?

No, I haven't tried any Apple betas.

I have a issue now for ASUS PB279Q 4K. My Hackintosh OSX El Caption is no 4K resolution for me to select and only detect Full HD 2K. I also don't know what happen now....... :(

Any one can help me...........Please Help!!

my system spec:
CPU: i5 6400 2.71GHz
MB Gigabyte H170 Gaming 3
VGA: Gigabyte GTX960 extreme 4GB
Ram: 8gb 2133MHz X 2pcs
HDD: 1TB
PSU: 650W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back