Contribute
Register

10.10.3 Working, but a few freeze issues. Can they be fixed? or live with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GT740 SC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using UniBeast I successfully installed Yosemite 10.10.3 on my all new 'CustoMac mATX' system after some BIOS settings help from Jithin C.V.. (thanks Jithin!)

Since then, I've encountered several problems and was just wondering if these are normal issues I should get used to when operating a Hackintosh or if I can make further tweaks to abolish the problems and have a more stable system.

Also, since I installed with UniBeast, is it useful for me to read through the Threads pertaining to Clover, or are these solutions unrelated to a UniBeast Install?

BIOS F4
1. Set Boot Mode to UEFI/UEFI+Legacy/CSM Enabled DONE
2. Disable Secure Boot SECURE BOOT STATE - DISABLE (Grayed out)
3. Disable Fast Boot DONE
4. Disable CFG-Lock CAN'T FIND
5. Set OS Type as Other OS DONE (DEFAULT)
6. Disable VT-D DONE
7. Disable TPM CAN'T FIND
8. Set Graphics Card as your Primary Video Adapter, Disable Internal Graphics
9. Set SATA Mode as AHCI DONE (DEFAULT)
10. Disable EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) DONE (DEFAULT)
11. Enable USB Legacy Support DONE (DEFAULT)
12. Set xHCI mode as AUTO (Not SMART Auto) DONE
13. Set xHCI Hand-Off as Enabled DONE (DEFAULT)
14. Enable the EHCI Hand-off DONE
15. Enable HPET CAN'T FIND
16. Set HPET to 64-Bit CAN'T FIND

MultiBeast Settings:
- DSDT Free
- Audio (ALC1150 and VooDoo HDA 2.7.3)
- Disk (3rd Party eSata)
- MISC (USB 3.0 Universal)
- Network (Killer ALXEthernet v1.0.2 and AtherosL1cEthernet 1.2.3)
- Chimera v4.1.0
- Customize (standard plus 1080p Display Mode)
- SysDef - MacPro 3,1

My Issues so far -

1) I tried to plug in an External eSata Drive using an eSata to Sata III cable (connected directly into the Internal Sata Ports). This caused a freeze-up which also resulted in 2 Kernel Panic Screens when trying to restart. Shown here -
2015-05-31 22.13.48.jpg2015-05-31 09.31.15.jpg
I then used MultiBeast to install the '3rd Party eSata' driver and subsequent attempts to connect the eSata drive didn't work, but they also didn't freeze the system. I am abandoning this connection technique, as it's not important for me.

2) Multiple/continuing instances of failure to wake from Sleep mode.
(I've seen some of the threads on this, but can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether this is a Yosemite problem, or a Hackintosh problem. I downloaded the 10.10.3 installer on 5/28/15, seemingly after Apple addressed the issue first noticed in April 2015)

Sometimes the restart ends on a black screen and it takes a few restarts to get it booted.

3) While working in Firefox>Google Docs - I got a freeze-up requiring a restart.
(Spotify was also open, though not running)

4) Froze during Install of Sophos/ while plugging in a USB 2 Drive.

5) Won't fully restart after choosing Restart from Apple pulldown menu.

- In one instance, after installing Perian and restarting, wouldn't restart. Then when manually restarting, I got a Boot Error page directing me to the BIOS. I entered the BIOS, made NO changes and rebooted. Then I got the following Kernal Panic Page.
2015-06-02 20.44.06.jpg

In general, I'm looking to set my expectations about owning a Hackintosh. Should I be able to eliminate ALL hiccups, or should I expect a little uncertainty? Thanks.

Using UniBeast I successfully installed Yosemite 10.10.3 on my all new 'CustoMac mATX' system after some BIOS settings help from Jithin C.V.. (thanks Jithin!)

Since then, I've encountered several problems and was just wondering if these are normal issues I should get used to when operating a Hackintosh or if I can make further tweaks to abolish the problems and have a more stable system.

No, you definitely shouldn't have to settle for kernel panics like you're seeing - there are almost certainly fixes to the problems you're having. As far as setting expectations are concerned, I've found that in general, the Hackintoshes I've built are at least as stable as any "real" Mac I've owned.

Also, since I installed with UniBeast, is it useful for me to read through the Threads pertaining to Clover, or are these solutions unrelated to a UniBeast Install?

It isn't too likely you'll find many solutions for problems you're experiencing under Chimera in Clover threads. However, it wouldn't hurt for you to read through them - you may learn enough to feel comfortable with making the switch to Clover. While it isn't a cure-all, I've found that most problems seem to have easy fixes under Clover, plus as a bonus you get faster boot times.

4. Disable CFG-Lock CAN'T FIND
This is because Gigabyte motherboards don't have CFG-Lock. That's one of the reasons they're in the Buyer's Guides as recommended systems.

7. Disable TPM CAN'T FIND
Not all motherboards support TPM (especially gaming boards like yours - it's more of a business feature).

Look again - it should be there. HPET stands for "High Precision Event Timer". I believe that on newer boards there's no longer an HPET 32/64-bit setting, it's just 64-bit by default, but you do need to make sure it's enabled.

- Audio (ALC1150 and VooDoo HDA 2.7.3)

Why would you use Voodoo HDA if your audio codec is ALC1150? You should remove the Voodoo HDA kext(s), they're known to often be unstable.

- MISC (USB 3.0 Universal)

Generally not needed unless your motherboard has a 3rd party (non-Intel) USB 3.0 chip (which yours doesn't). Remove the kext.

- Network (Killer ALXEthernet v1.0.2 and AtherosL1cEthernet 1.2.3)

You only want one Ethernet kext per Ethernet chipset onboard. I don't know which of these drivers is better, but you need to get rid of one or the other.

- In one instance, after installing Perian and restarting, wouldn't restart. Then when manually restarting, I got a Boot Error page directing me to the BIOS. I entered the BIOS, made NO changes and rebooted. Then I got the following Kernal Panic Page.

Perian is ancient, no longer supported, and largely unnecessary - I would completely remove it.

As for the specifics of the issues you're having, I don't have a lot of answers - but I have a feeling that once you correct some of the configuration mistakes above most of these problems will vanish.

install nvidia web driver (and actually switch to it) if you haven't already. GT 740 at the moment NEEDS it. fixed my restart/shutdown hang and occasional before-login hang.

Thanks NOBODYNOSE for the tips. I reset all of my setting per your suggestions except the following:

Look again - it should be there. HPET stands for "High Precision Event Timer". I believe that on newer boards there's no longer an HPET 32/64-bit setting, it's just 64-bit by default, but you do need to make sure it's enabled.

I have scoured my manual and the internet and I cannot for the life of me find this setting in my BIOS. I suspect that it's automatically set to 64 bit on my motherboard.

Perian is ancient, no longer supported, and largely unnecessary - I would completely remove it.

I left Perian installed for now. I only installed it in order to run SUBLER so I could unwrap some .MKV files. I haven't had time to find an alternative.

After making these adjustments I ran into another Kernel Panic:

2015-06-06 13.26.19.jpg

Then I followed the advice of Amylowellow in my next reply and have been running well since. No Kernel Panics.

install nvidia web driver (and actually switch to it) if you haven't already. GT 740 at the moment NEEDS it. fixed my restart/shutdown hang and occasional before-login hang.

Thanks to you both for the help. It seems to be running pretty well now.

Thanks AMYLOWELLOW. This really seems to have fixed my RESTART/SLEEP/WAKE issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back