Contribute
Register

[work in progress] Acer Aspire S3 i5

Status
Not open for further replies.
These DSDTs are the same, except:
- foreign_DSDT.aml has "Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error" applied.
- foreign_DSDT.aml has a patch for Atheros AR9285 applied (bad idea if you don't have the hardware installed)
- foreign_DSDT.aml has "Brightness Fix" applied.

No doubt the three patches came from: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Other than that, they are identical.

I only see one error with ACPI 5.0, but there is no need to use ACPI 5.0 anyway (not with this DSDT). Use ACPI 4.0.

To compare them, you can use diff:
Code:
# in Terminal
iasl -d native-dsdt.aml
iasl -d foreign-DSDT.aml
diff native-dsdt.dsl foreign-DSDT.dsl | more

Or you can use diffmerge instead of diff (you'd have to download/install it). It is easier to see the actual differences with diffmerge as it is graphical.

Thanks for the insightful information. I will put back my Atheros 9285 wifi card in.
I will compile my native DSDT.aml as per your instructions on the patches (using a real macbook).
And will test it out later and give you some feedback.
I am going to leave the SSDT and smbios as is?

Just a quick stupid question. If the foreign dsdt.aml is so close to the patches that you mention.
Why do I still need to compile one with a native dsdt.aml? It might be obvious to you.. but not to me...

Cheers

bd4utonite2

PS. Initial recommended basic patch instructions by you has been done. No errors.
Will try it later when i get home. I hope to apply the logical patches so i have a stable useable machine with
no freeze. When I see all the patches that you have made... i get confused and want to try everything.
I think its best i take baby steps and follow your instructions accordingly :)

These DSDTs are the same, except:
- foreign_DSDT.aml has "Fix _PLD Buffer/Package Error" applied.
- foreign_DSDT.aml has a patch for Atheros AR9285 applied (bad idea if you don't have the hardware installed)
- foreign_DSDT.aml has "Brightness Fix" applied.

No doubt the three patches came from: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Other than that, they are identical.

I only see one error with ACPI 5.0, but there is no need to use ACPI 5.0 anyway (not with this DSDT). Use ACPI 4.0.

To compare them, you can use diff:
Code:
# in Terminal
iasl -d native-dsdt.aml
iasl -d foreign-DSDT.aml
diff native-dsdt.dsl foreign-DSDT.dsl | more

Or you can use diffmerge instead of diff (you'd have to download/install it). It is easier to see the actual differences with diffmerge as it is graphical.

I am getting this error when trying to compare native-dsdt.aml and foreign-dsdt.aml
Please look at attached jpg file

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 9.19.42 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 9.19.42 am.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 121
Thanks for the insightful information. I will put back my Atheros 9285 wifi card in.

You should be sure the patch is appropriate for your machine before attempting AR9285 DSDT patch (involves looking at ioreg with native DSDT in use and determining the ACPI node that the WiFi device is attached to, then customizing a patch for it).

Or better yet, just use toledaARPT.kext instead. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

I will compile my native DSDT.aml as per your instructions on the patches (using a real macbook).
And will test it out later and give you some feedback.
I am going to leave the SSDT and smbios as is?

OK...

Just a quick stupid question. If the foreign dsdt.aml is so close to the patches that you mention.
Why do I still need to compile one with a native dsdt.aml? It might be obvious to you.. but not to me...

The only reason is to know how it is done and be able to make improvements and to be able to patch your own DSDT should your native DSDT change (eg. in the case of memory upgrade/BIOS upgrade/etc). The DSDT you're using is just baby steps... For example, brightness patch within it is incomplete, and you'll end up with many more patches for full functionality.

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting this error when trying to compare native-dsdt.aml and foreign-dsdt.aml
Please look at attached jpg file

Thanks

You cannot compare .aml files with diffmerge as they are binary. Diffmerge (and diff) is designed to compare text files. Thus why in my example I compare the .dsl files (output from iasl disassembler).

You should be sure the patch is appropriate for your machine before attempting AR9285 DSDT patch (involves looking at ioreg with native DSDT in use and determining the ACPI node that the WiFi device is attached to, then customizing a patch for it).

Or better yet, just use toledaARPT.kext instead. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

OK...

The only reason is to know how it is done and be able to make improvements and to be able to patch your own DSDT should your native DSDT change (eg. in the case of memory upgrade/BIOS upgrade/etc). The DSDT you're using is just baby steps... For example, brightness patch within it is incomplete, and you'll end up with many more patches for full functionality.

- - - Updated - - -

You cannot compare .aml files with diffmerge as they are binary. Diffmerge (and diff) is designed to compare text files. Thus why in my example I compare the .dsl files (output from iasl disassembler).

Thanks I understand now about the diffmerge.

Anyway I went ahead with your advice on the initial patches on my native-dsdt.aml
I am not getting any errors :) but do have some warnings, remarks and optimization.
I cannot seem to select the Atheros 9285 patch.... out of the 3 .... PSXS, WLAN and WNIC,
I can only select PSXS the others i can select but the Apply button never comes on.
I initially thought Atheros 9285 was navtive to Mac OSX but I guess I am wrong as most of the
DSDT I have been using must have had this patch.

So do i hold off on the Atheros 9285 and test out my native-patched-dsdt.aml and then use toledo's kext?
PS... FYI I might have a Atheros 9280 in which case it is native to Mac OSX hence no patching required as
mentioned in https://github.com/toleda/wireless_half-mini

cheers

bd4utonite2

Thanks I understand now about the diffmerge.

Anyway I went ahead with your advice on the initial patches on my native-dsdt.aml
I am not getting any errors :) but do have some warnings, remarks and optimization.
I cannot seem to select the Atheros 9285 patch.... out of the 3 .... PSXS, WLAN and WNIC,
I can only select PSXS the others i can select but the Apply button never comes on.
I initially thought Atheros 9285 was navtive to Mac OSX but I guess I am wrong as most of the
DSDT I have been using must have had this patch.

So do i hold off on the Atheros 9285 and test out my native-patched-dsdt.aml and then use toledo's kext?

cheers

bd4utonite2

Use toledaARPT.kext. There is no advantage to doing DSDT patches for AR9285.

Use toledaARPT.kext. There is no advantage to doing DSDT patches for AR9285.

Hi Rehabman..

In case I have a ar9285 and use toledaARPT.kext, do i just install it in S/L/E?
Do I need to do anything to any plist?
The instructions on his github repo is overwhelming because he covers other cards as well....

Bd4utonite2

Hi Rehabman..

In case I have a ar9285 and use toledaARPT.kext, do i just install it in S/L/E?
Do I need to do anything to any plist?
The instructions on his github repo is overwhelming because he covers other cards as well....

Bd4utonite2

All you need to do is install it to /S/L/E using Kext Wizard, then reboot.

All you need to do is install it to /S/L/E using Kext Wizard, then reboot.

Thanks..... I will let you know when i get home and do the testing with
my initial patch (as per your instructions) on my native-dsdt.aml

However, I would like to ask you some questions...
What do i do when it comes to USB patches? If i am not mistaken
my machine has series-6 USB... do i use the series 6 or series 6 with ID

For Battery Patches what do i do as i cannot see one for my machine, the closest
would be the Acers S7?

What do i do for Fan Control and temperature Status?
I see you have an Acer Aspire fan control

Do I need any of the SYstem Patches? and also Audio

I know i said i would take baby steps.. but i am curious to know
I am more than confident that the initial patch you have given me will work (without a doubt)
and am preparing myself for the next steps... LOL

Regards

Bd4utonite2

Thanks..... I will let you know when i get home and do the testing with
my initial patch (as per your instructions) on my native-dsdt.aml

However, I would like to ask you some questions...
What do i do when it comes to USB patches? If i am not mistaken
my machine has series-6 USB... do i use the series 6 or series 6 with ID

ID variants are rarely needed. They would only be used if your native USB device-id is not recognized by OS X kexts.

The USB 6-series patch can be useful, especially to enable sleep (if USB is causing instant wake).

For Battery Patches what do i do as i cannot see one for my machine, the closest
would be the Acers S7?

See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

"Acer 3820tg" is at least a partial if not complete patch.

What do i do for Fan Control and temperature Status?
I see you have an Acer Aspire fan control

Acer Aspire fan control was experimental and as far as I know never tested. It may or may not apply to your computer.

If you're happy with the stock fan behavior of your machine, it is not something to investigate.

See here if you're interested in all that went into figuring out fan control for HP ProBook: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Do I need any of the SYstem Patches? and also Audio

Audio patches (and "IRQ Fix") are required for patched AppleHDA.

I tend to apply system patches if there is a demonstrated need. (most common is problems with sleep, or wake from sleep).

Common ones needed:
"IRQ Fix" (mentioned above)
"SMBUS Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"HPET Fix"
"OS Check Fix"

ID variants are rarely needed. They would only be used if your native USB device-id is not recognized by OS X kexts.

The USB 6-series patch can be useful, especially to enable sleep (if USB is causing instant wake).

See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

"Acer 3820tg" is at least a partial if not complete patch.

Acer Aspire fan control was experimental and as far as I know never tested. It may or may not apply to your computer.

If you're happy with the stock fan behavior of your machine, it is not something to investigate.

See here if you're interested in all that went into figuring out fan control for HP ProBook: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/72043-new-fan-control-dsdt-silent-fan-higher-temps.html

Audio patches (and "IRQ Fix") are required for patched AppleHDA.

I tend to apply system patches if there is a demonstrated need. (most common is problems with sleep, or wake from sleep).

Common ones needed:
"IRQ Fix" (mentioned above)
"SMBUS Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT"
"HPET Fix"
"OS Check Fix"

Hi Rehabman....

What can I say.. you are a gentleman and a scholar..
Many thanks for the insights of the settings on the patches info that i enquired about...
I think i can try all your suggestions without needing to bother you unless I run into trouble.
I think I know enough (which is dangerous) to carry out the patches.
I will keep you updated on my install.

Thanks again mate`

bd4utonite2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back