Contribute
Register

Unibeast 1.7 won't install to USB Stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac
CPU
Core2 Duo
Graphics
9600M GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just downloaded unibeast 1.7 and tried to install to a 8GB USB stick. I followed all of the instructions on formatting the USB stick properly. When I execute the installer, it just hangs there showing "Preparing Disk..." I have left it running for over 45 minutes and it never changes its status. I am trying to build the USB installer on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2.

Any ideas why this would be happening? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Try using a different USB drive. USB drives vary in quality greatly; I once tried installing Unibeast on some shoddy USB drives I had picked up from China a few years earlier, and the Unibeast installer struggled for 50 minutes with them until it finally gave up. Then I tried it again with a standard Kingston 8 GB USB drive, and it worked fine.

I will give it a try. The USB stick is a Corsair Voyager. They are very stable and I have not had a problem with it. I will go buy another brand and see if that changes anything. I will update with the results.

Thanks for the reply.

I have purchased another USB stick (non-Corsair) and the Unibeast 1.7 installer still hangs and never actually installs Mountain Lion to the USB flash drive. I have even tried the Unibeast Lion installer as well, with not luck. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I know the USB sticks that I am using are top quality and not some cheap no-name USB stick from Fry's.

It is really frustrating to not be able to perform the simplest task of installing the hackintosh tools to a flash drive. I am sure that I am doing everything correctly. If anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestions.

If it helps: I am trying to run Unibeast 1.7 (for Mountain Lion) on a 2009 (1st gen) unibody Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2. I have tried to install on to a (new) Patriot Supersonic Boost 16GB USB 3.0 and a Corsair Voyager 8 GB USB 2.0 drives. Neither of them work.

thanks.

Where can I find the install log? I would be happy to post it.

The only thing is that it never completes or generates an error message. Right after specify the install location and put in my password, the installer just hangs and says "Preparing the disk..." and the barber pole animation just keeps going. I have let it go for over an hour without any feedback from the installer. I end up having to force quite the installer.

I have even tried to run Multibeast to see if I can install the boot loader to a thumb drive and the same problem occurs.

thanks.

Where can I find the install log? I would be happy to post it.

The only thing is that it never completes or generates an error message. Right after specify the install location and put in my password, the installer just hangs and says "Preparing the disk..." and the barber pole animation just keeps going. I have let it go for over an hour without any feedback from the installer. I end up having to force quite the installer.

I have even tried to run Multibeast to see if I can install the boot loader to a thumb drive and the same problem occurs.

thanks.

Burnmode,

Try these and see if they work:

1) Run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions on your current OSX drive and reboot

2) Re-downloading the Unibeast installer

3) Formatting your USB stick to GPT/GUID partition, Macintosh Journaled format

4) Try a different port on the USB. If necessary, connect a USB hub to your MBP's port and connect your USB stick onto the hub to make the Unibeast stick

5) Re-downloading the Mountain Lion download if necessary - it may be corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back