Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already been stated in this thread that 10.11.2 doesn't make a difference, unless something has changed in the Public Beta.

I personally think that there's something else going on beyond a lack of native support.

On MacRumors users confirmed the public beta of 10.11.2 has the same build number as the dev beta. So I wouldn't expect much to change from the the public beta now being available.

Update: on the i7-6700 (not K), it doesn't seem like the CPU ever exceeds the base clock rate of 3.4 GHz, even though there are turbo states defined up to 4 GHz.

On MacRumors users confirmed the public beta of 10.11.2 has the same build number as the dev beta. So I wouldn't expect much to change from the the public beta now being available.

It turns out that there might also be a newer version of 10.11.2 available, as several users from MacRumors, and ****** were able to install build 15C30 through internet recovery (clean install).

Sorry to burst your bubbles but the 10.11.2 update shouldn't change anything in regards to Skylake. More Skylake support will depend on Apple releasing more new Macs with Skylake. When Apple is close to releasing a new Mac, beta OS X update builds may then show more support for the new machines - if it's not in a special model build like the previous new iMacs were.

The next Skylake Mac should theoretically be the Mac mini. It won't be until Q1 2016 for mobile Skylake. Mac Pro will likely stay Xeon.

Another update: with proper SMBIOS settings, I was able to avoid the problem where the CPU wouldn't go into turbo states. Got another 1000 or 1500 GeekBench points right there. :) I've updated the second post with the SMBIOS settings I used, and some photos and screen shots.

• None of the onboard USB ports work. A USB3 add-on card that's normally natively supported in El Capitan also does not work
Is this the FL1009 you're talking about? because that requires injecting device ids now. I'm sure you've tested it in another non-skylake system on el capitan? That's super weird.

Just thought I'd mention.

At least on my Z97 board, a Samsung SM951 NVMe is not recognized by 10.11.2 public beta - BIOS sees it, and Windows boots fine from it, but OSX just doesn't list the drive ...
It has been said elsewhere that right now OSX only recognizes Apple's own NVMe drives (correct me if I'm wrong !)

There are 2 versions of the 951 out there right now. I *think* one is AHCI compliant, and the other is possibly NVMe only. Maybe you have the NVMe one ?

Sorry to burst your bubbles but the 10.11.2 update shouldn't change anything in regards to Skylake. More Skylake support will depend on Apple releasing more new Macs with Skylake. When Apple is close to releasing a new Mac, beta OS X update builds may then show more support for the new machines - if it's not in a special model build like the previous new iMacs were.

The next Skylake Mac should theoretically be the Mac mini. It won't be until Q1 2016 for mobile Skylake. Mac Pro will likely stay Xeon.

Next mac mini is scheduled to be broadwell actually.

Next mac mini is scheduled to be broadwell actually.

That seems so sillypants why would Apple put 1.5 year old tech into their new product - doesn't sound very Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back