Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
They stuffed broadwell in the 21 inch imac refresh. In fact they are such pitiful machines all around for their price point they should be ashamed. Plus the new cheaper fusion drive with much less flash storage.

Be glad most of us are on hacks these days.

That Broadwell processor in the 21.5 inch iMac has better on-board graphics than Skylake processors (Iris Pro Graphics 6200 > HD Graphics 530)

Hey there,

just like to give my experiences so far:

Testbuild:
Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 (mini-itx version bios: f3 - dsdt exported via linux attached)
Intel 6700K i7
G.Skill DIMM 16GB DDR4-3000
Palit Geforce 970GTX
M.2 SSD (via sata now - getting the new 950pro nmve soonish to replace)
- Loaded optimized defaults and disabled internal GPU / SOUND

I started of with unibeast 6.0.1 osx 10.11.1 and got reboot loops so i updated clover to 3320.
(clover 3320 uses the imac 17,1 smbios etc. that seems to help)

I had to set the following flags: -nv_disable=1 cpus=1, -v
In addition I had to set the usb-fix for dsdt to pass legacyUSB boot.
(not setting the usb-fix it seems two usb ports could be mapped properly and it fails while mapping the other 2 with protocol usb 30.01 error)

But now im stuck at:

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib kmod start
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless kmod start
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded
com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeDataless load succeeded

I found 2 older posts describing a similar problem stating its either/or oriented
1. CPUPowermanagement
2. Nvidia Graphics

I dont know whats up in the bootchain next to see how to go from here.
Rebabman reffered to a laptop guide for glover but since im running skylake I dont know if that topic is applicable to me..

Any hints from the experts?

If i try running -x or using droptable to remove alle ssdt settings ill get back stuck either at legacy usb or mbinit

Regards

References:
1.http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...fscompressiontypedataless-load-succeeded.html
2.http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...le-applefscompressiontypezlib-kmod-start.html

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    129.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Thanks for your answer:

have you tryed to use DMI 2.0 instead of DMI 3.0?

do you refer to me?

I haven't tried yet, im not at home right now but i found a setting in bios for dmi (at least in the manual - DMI Link APM Control)
ill give a try on that later and see which options can be set.
Thanks for your input.

Over at insanelymac, Piker Alpha has identified a setting in some BIOSes that solves many of the issues on Skylake. We're testing but this is the setting to disable on ASUS motherboards:

Advanced > PCH Configuration > IOAPIC 24-119 entries

This allows USB and internal SATA to be used, graphics with other settings, wifi, ethernet, etc... We're hoping for a bootloader fix soon.

:thumbup:

Also, if anyone has a built-in broadcom BCM94360HMB like myself, it doesn't seem to be working OOB like it should (wifi). Device id is what it should be, the hardware is loaded by the system (just like USB is) but it shows no networks available.

It's my understanding that some of these things might be fixable with some DSDT black-magic.
The Z170 Deluxe onboard wifi is working OOB once you disable IOAPIC 24-119 entries in the BIOS.

I was able to do a clean installation using UniBeast, Intel Sata, USB 3.0. UniBeast USB was built with 10.11.1. I didn't use an discreet graphics card only the onboard Intel HD530 via the HDMI port which shows unaccelerated graphics so far with basic testing.

The Z170 Deluxe onboard wifi is working OOB once you disable IOAPIC 24-119 entries in the BIOS.

I was able to do a clean installation using UniBeast, Intel Sata, USB 3.0. UniBeast USB was built with 10.11.1. I didn't use an external graphics card only the onboard Intel HD530 via the HDMI port which shows unaccelerated graphics so far with basic testing.
Can confirm this, after flashing to an earlier bios version via USB bios flashback, everything seems to be working.

Including my AMD HD7950 gpu.
http://i.imgur.com/3Kcuhsl.png

OS X is pretty much working on my MSI Z170A PCMate after flashing a modified bios to disable IOAPIC 24-119 entries.

I'm having a couple of minor issues, but the strangest one by far is that OS X is only seeing half my RAM!

I have a single 8GB stick of RAM installed in my system, but OS X can only see and use 4GB of that single stick. I've never heard of anything like this happening before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back