Contribute
Register

tdw's Haswell ATX: GA-Z87X-UD5H - Core i7-4770K - GTX 770

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would do further testing when you have some free time to see if you can nail the issue down to anything specific. I don't think it will be a BIOS setting if USB 2 and USB 3 are normally working properly. If you have a different keyboard to try also that may prove interesting.

If it works fine with Windows then its going to annoy you until you find a proper solution or settle on a workable compromise. Keep the thread posted with updates. :thumbup:

Adrian B

For reference the keyboard in question is my Code Keyboard 10-keyless.

I experimented... FOR SCIENCE! And this is what I've found:

- My motherboard boot screen does not see my keyboard when plugged into the USB hub but does directly plugged in or through the extension cable.
- Chimera does not see my keyboard when plugged into the USB hub but does directly plugged in or through the extension cable.
- OS X immediately sees my keyboard when plugged into the USB hub and directly plugged in but not over the extension cable.

For science I tried the extension cable with my Filco Majestouch 2 10-keyless with the extension cable and it worked just fine. I didn't try it with the hub but I didn't expect it to work there.

So the conclusion is it's something about my Code Keyboard that OS X dislikes. My theory is since this keyboard is a bit more full-featured there may be some aspect of it that disagrees with OS X initially, maybe it doesn't do a handshake just right or maybe because it's backlit there's an issue (though I don't know why).

Any theories would be welcome but at this point I think I might just ask the manufacturer. I did order that longer USB cable so I'm going to try that as well.

EDIT:

My keyboard came with a ps/2 adapter, do you think that would solve the issue? I added support for that during my initial install. I just have to dig it out.

Hello,
I have built a very similar machine this week end
4770k 3.5 ghz
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
GTX 760 MSI
Corsair PC RM Series RM750 - 80 PLUS
Fractal Design Define R4
Ram 16GB kit (8GBx2) Ballistix 240-pin DIMM DDR3-1600 1.35V Low Profile

The installation was smooth, but i 've a strange problem.
The machine shuts down when I put it into sleep, and impossible to start it up, unless I turn off/turn on the button on power supply, and then push the button on the case.
When I shut down mac os I have to do the same procedure, or nothing happens.
On the other side, the reboot works fine, so as usb, Ethernet, audio, etc...

System definitions: imac 14.2 (I tried macpro 3.1)
Bios F7, Optimized Defaults
Memory Profile (XMP) to Profile1

Maybe I missed something into the bios but what ?
Thank you for your help !

Hi,
I installed windows 7 on another disk and it has the same behaviour (no sleep, impossible to start after a shutdown).
I think that the problem is from the motherboard or the power supply.
I'll test with another power supply this week end.

Gigabyte told me to flash the bios->f8f (power suppy compatibility problem)
I'll do it soon...

Nice keyboard. It is USB, but you can add the PS/2 kext from MultiBeast. Drivers/Misc.

Nothing to lose.

Adrian B

It didn't work immediately and I didn't feel a strong desire to go digging through the bios for it given I had a longer USB cable arriving today. This one is just at 10 feet. I plugged it into the keyboard and it works just fine. I had a couple instances where it wouldn't react before OS X or Windows responded, but I think those were akin to growing pains as a few restarts and now all is well.

I can't say for sure but I think the Filco responded better because the cable might be shorter. Since everything is working now I'm not interested enough to check. Regardless: Shorter USB cables for keyboards are better. It doesn't seem to be a problem for my Deathadder, though.

Thanks for the assist. I never would have guessed cable length.

not working with bios f8f :banghead:

next try: another power supply

end of story: I returned PSU.
Now it works with a corsair 750 AX.
Don't buy 750 RM model !
Moreover it was too big to put a 14cm fan in the bottom of the case.

I also can't get in to 4.4ghz. It feels like I should be able to though, as I'm hardly pushing the voltage at 4.3, and temps are low.

I also can't get in to 4.4ghz. It feels like I should be able to though, as I'm hardly pushing the voltage at 4.3, and temps are low.

I think this issue has nothing to do with voltages or any other BIOS settings. During the boot process, OS X checks to see what processor is installed, and when it sees a 4.4GHz processor it throws a fit and refuses to accept it. There must be some kind of known/accepted processor list and anything 4.4 GHz or above is not on that list. If you boot in verbose mode (type -v) you can see where it hangs, the same place each time. Maybe someone else can advise how to break the 4.3 GHz barrier? I can boot into Windows without any issue at 4.4 GHz.

Very delayed update: My build is done! GA-Z87X-UD5H - 4770K - GTX 770 4GB - 16GB 1866MHz Corsair - Samsung 256GB 840 Pro (OSX) - Samsung 250GB 840 EVO (Win7) - Multiple other Hard Drives

I finally got round to getting a second SSD for the OS X install (have been running Windows on the new build for a bit).

I could not believe how easily it all installed, followed the same config as tdw and seems pretty stable so far. Will do more testing after work.

One unrelated but very annoying problem I have is the rear USB ports seem to all gone into 'stuck' mode as it would seem many other owners of the Z87X-UD5H have seen. Just suddenly stopped working. I am currently using front panel ports on my case which work fine off the motherboard headers (both USB 2 and 3.0) and fortunately do not have many peripheral needs yet. Was hoping F8 bios might fix it but did not :(

I guess I'll wait for Rev 2 to come out or something and then file a RMA.

Thanks again for the guide tdw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back