Hello,
I have built a very similar machine this week end
4770k 3.5 ghz
Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
GTX 760 MSI
Corsair PC RM Series RM750 - 80 PLUS
Fractal Design Define R4
Ram 16GB kit (8GBx2) Ballistix 240-pin DIMM DDR3-1600 1.35V Low Profile

The installation was smooth, but i 've a strange problem.
The machine shuts down when I put it into sleep, and impossible to start it up, unless I turn off/turn on the button on power supply, and then push the button on the case.
When I shut down mac os I have to do the same procedure, or nothing happens.
On the other side, the reboot works fine, so as usb, Ethernet, audio, etc...

System definitions: imac 14.2 (I tried macpro 3.1)
Bios F7, Optimized Defaults
Memory Profile (XMP) to Profile1

Maybe I missed something into the bios but what ?
Thank you for your help !

I had sleep problems too, I resolved them by disabling Wake On LAN in the BIOS. I think it's under the Power Management tab. Once I did that, waking up from sleep worked perfectly. I'm using MacPro 3,1 but it shouldn't make a difference.

hi,
wake on lan is already disabled.I don't understand why it's not working.

Another thing: after bios update, I had to disable dual bios or it was impossible to boot.

I didn't have that problem, although I have a feeling it may be the same problem as iMessage not working. Have you tried using iMessage? To get it working, you have to install FileNVRAM.dylib. You want to download version 1.1.2 and copy it into /Extra/modules on the boot drive then reboot. Here's the link :

http://public.xzenue.com/downloads/

I gave that a go and no dice, it just didn't want to hit the store for me. I was also having some random crashes too so I bit the bullet and did a fresh install of 10.9.1. I also added the FileNVRAM stuff while I was add it for good measure. The end result is everything seems to be perfectly stable, store worked fine. I haven't checked iMessages or Maps, but I use neither thanks to Adium and Google so I'm not worried.

What did you do about the front audio cable? Mine doesn't quite reach the bottom of the board. I could run it diagonally, but I'm probably just going to get an extension cable.

I also learned that OS X and my board both don't like extension cables for mice and keyboards, haha. I have to re-plug-in my keyboard on every boot. Waiting on a longer cable for that too.

I also learned that OS X and my board both don't like extension cables for mice and keyboards, haha. I have to re-plug-in my keyboard on every boot. Waiting on a longer cable for that too.

That is not supposed to happen - what length of USB extension are you trying to use? Upto 2-3 metres should be no problems. Beyond that might well become an issue with the USB circuitry.

Adrian B

That is not supposed to happen - what length of USB extension are you trying to use? Upto 2-3 metres should be no problems. Beyond that might well become an issue with the USB circuitry.

Adrian B

A 70" or so cable on my keyboard plus a 2 meter USB cable. Part of the problem may also be that it's a USB 3.0 extension cable on a 2.0 keyboard going to a 3.0 port. I don't know, I haven't played around with enough to know for sure.

I ordered a longer USB cable to replace my keyboard one (yay for user-replaceable parts) so we'll see what happens there.

If it becomes a persistent problem I'll just shift where my tower is.

A 70" or so cable on my keyboard plus a 2 meter USB cable. Part of the problem may also be that it's a USB 3.0 extension cable on a 2.0 keyboard going to a 3.0 port. I don't know, I haven't played around with enough to know for sure.

I ordered a longer USB cable to replace my keyboard one (yay for user-replaceable parts) so we'll see what happens there.

If it becomes a persistent problem I'll just shift where my tower is.

USB is supposed to be good for about 3 metres or 10 feet - past that length it is recommended to use an active USB extension cable to maintain the voltages to let items be powered correctly from the USB bus.

Adrian B

USB is supposed to be good for about 3 metres or 10 feet - past that length it is recommended to use an active USB extension cable to maintain the voltages to let items be powered correctly from the USB bus.

Adrian B

I had it running through one of these bad boys but it didn't seem to respond when I was booting:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYXZI4M/

If I held DEL or F7 during boot I would just continue instead of jumping into BIOS, so I plugged it in instead.

Is there another hub I should use or is that just expected behavior? If I have to replace my hub I'm fine with that as I could use this at work.

I had it running through one of these bad boys but it didn't seem to respond when I was booting:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYXZI4M/

If I held DEL or F7 during boot I would just continue instead of jumping into BIOS, so I plugged it in instead.

Is there another hub I should use or is that just expected behavior? If I have to replace my hub I'm fine with that as I could use this at work.

I would have thought it would work using that hub, but bearing in mind it may be a USB2/3 OS X issue. It is difficult to say without more testing to isolate things. Do you have windows or Linux installed - if so what is the behaviour?
Here is another possible solution:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wireless+keyboard+with+trackpad&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Awireless+keyboard+with+trackpad
Adrian B

I would have thought it would work using that hub, but bearing in mind it may be a USB2/3 OS X issue. It is difficult to say without more testing to isolate things. Do you have windows or Linux installed - if so what is the behaviour?
Here is another possible solution:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wireless+keyboard+with+trackpad&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Awireless+keyboard+with+trackpad

Adrian B

I have Windows, too, and it seems fine. I'm going to do some more testing tonight. It might have been that I was using the higher-power ports, I also have a USB 2.0 hub laying around somewhere I might try, see if that helps.

The hub works fine once I get past the MB boot screen, if memory serves. Might there be something in my BIOS that's effecting it?

I have Windows, too, and it seems fine. I'm going to do some more testing tonight. It might have been that I was using the higher-power ports, I also have a USB 2.0 hub laying around somewhere I might try, see if that helps.

The hub works fine once I get past the MB boot screen, if memory serves. Might there be something in my BIOS that's effecting it?

I would do further testing when you have some free time to see if you can nail the issue down to anything specific. I don't think it will be a BIOS setting if USB 2 and USB 3 are normally working properly. If you have a different keyboard to try also that may prove interesting.

If it works fine with Windows then its going to annoy you until you find a proper solution or settle on a workable compromise. Keep the thread posted with updates. :thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back