Contribute
Register

SUCCESS: Intel DH67GD / non-K i7 2600 / HD5850 [GUIDE ADDED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: SUCCESS: Intel DH67GD mATX with non-K i7 2600 and HD 5850

Here are the necessary steps:

Connect your monitor to the integrated gfx port (DVI tested, it works) and leave the PCI-E graphics card out of your system for now.

Start and set your BIOS [enter BIOS by pressing F2] to check for UEFI boot in boot options

OS INSTALL

1. Load your OS X 1.6.3 Retail DVD by using the iBoot Legacy CD. I added the verbose option (-v) but i do not believe this is necessary. It's just important when you're looking for errors.

2. In the setup program, format your HD to GUID and HFS+ (Journaled). Install the os. After install, restart with iBoot Legacy CD (again, verbose is better if something goes wrong)

3. Welcome to OS X - just a few more annoying steps and you're on the desktop. Resolution is standard VESA, don't worry about that for now.

4. Drag the 10.6.7 Combo update to your HD and install (the regular one, NOT the one for MBP2011, but you will need that one too later) DO NOT RESTART when it's done.

GFX INSTALL

5. Drag to your HD:
- Kext Utility
- Multibeast
- Pacifist
- 10.6.7 MacBookPro 2011 update

6. Extract the update with Pacifist and go to /System/Library/Extensions inside the package

7. Select and install (Command-S) all ATI related kexts with admin privileges. When it asks you to overwrite/replace stuff, check yes and proceed. Close Pacifist when it's done.

8. Run Multibeast and select
- Experimental Chameleon bootloader for Sandy Bridge
- Boot Definition: Apple Boot Screen (GraphicsEnabler=No), 64-bit
- System definition: MacPro3,1
NO "Easybeast", "userDSDT" and "System Utilities"
Wait for the first successful restart to install the other kexts/stuff you may need. BUT DO NOT RESTART NOW!

FINETUNING

9. Open Terminal. Don't be afraid, it won't hurt.
You have to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist which are located in /Extra

Code:
sudo -s 
[enter password]

nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
[make all the changes you may need, i've added my own config below for reference]
[the kernel flags are very important!]
[confirm changes and exit by pressing Control-X]

nano /Extra/smbios.plist
[check my own config for reference and make appropriate changes]
[confirm changes and exit]
10. Leave the Terminal open, we'll return soon.

11. Copy "Essential" kexts to /Extra/Extensions
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
OpenHaltRestart
FakeSMC (get it here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643 - it's the 10.6 Release you want)
NullCPUPowerManagement
AHCIPortInjector

12. Return to Terminal
Code:
chown -R 0:0 /Extra

chmod -R 755 /Extra

KERNEL REPLACEMENT

13. Get the modified kernel from here: http://tuxie.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/stable-hackintosh-with-h67-chipset/

14. Extract the new kernel to your Desktop

15. Backup your old kernel by using terminal

Code:
dd if=/mach_kernel of=/mach_kernel.old

15a. Remove your old kernel

Code:
rm -f /mach_kernel

16. Copy the new kernel to root directory

Code:
dd if=~/Desktop/mach_kernel of=/mach_kernel

17. Change owner and privileges

Code:
chown 0:0 /mach_kernel

chmod 644 /mach_kernel

18. Run Kext Utility

19. Go to Terminal and perform a permissions repair

Code:
diskutil list
[look for your OS X Volume identifier, in most cases disk0s2]

diskutil repairPermissions diskXsX 
[X depending on the identifier]

SHUTDOWN YOUR MACHINE AND PRAY EVERTHING WENT OK

20. Insert your PCI-E gfx Card and connect your screen.

21. Start your system WITHOUT iBoot Legacy, there should be an ugly (but functional) DOS-times bootloader popping up.
No need to set boot options if you have set all your flags and opts in com.apple.Boot.plist before. Again, verbose boot is always more entertaining.

22. Everything should have gone well.

APPENDIX

com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 busratio=34 fsb=100000000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac Pro</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W85872JZYA4</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>Intel Bios Rev. 1015</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1333</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 2,222
Onboard Hardware Report for Intel DH67GD motherboard

LAN: Works very well with AppleIntelE1000e.kext (http://code.google.com/p/intel-e1000e-kext/). A packed binary is easy to find in the wild.

PCI/PCIe: All slots work, I had one device on each slot. Everything is recognised.

USB 2.0: All backpanel and frontpanel connections work out of the box.

USB 3.0: Use Multibeast install option. USB devices are working. I don't have any SS-USB gear so speed not tested.

Firewire: Recognised. Not tested yet.

ALC892: Use Multibeast install option. Analog outs tested on front and backpanel. Everything ok. Digital outs, analog ins not tested.

eSATA: Not tested.

Onboard GFX: Not supported at this time.

SATA: 3 HDD and one DVD connected. All working.

IDE: WTF?

Notes

- You most likely won't get Airport working in 64-bit. Immediate KP when data is sent. I had the TL-WN851 from TP-Link in my previous setup and it worked very well, but no chance getting it to work on sandy bridge. I'm now using a LAN-to-WiFi-n bridge from Netgear. Works flawlessly.

- Many of Intel's boards are identical to this one (check DH67CL, it's the GD's ATX twin with two more PCI slots) so this guide may - but not necessarily - be applicable to other Intel boards too. They come with a 3-year warranty and are manufactured by Foxconn. Price/Performance is excellent.

This guide worked like a charm on my MSI H67MA E35 board. Except i lost ps2 keyboard function due to 64bit operation.
I will post follow up once i have my USB unifying reciever in place for keyboard and mouse.
Thanks for the guide.

My previous hackintosh build was a asus p5kpl cm board. Unfortunate lightning strike sent that to my scrap yard. :banghead:
Replaced with MSI H67MA E35 4g DDR3 I5 Intel 2300 2.8 , same NVIDIA 8400gt
OSX was not reloaded; I used iboot and blew out extra folder previous kext and followed this guide.

Congratulations for this easy installation guide.

Following the steps, I helped a friend install an Intel ® DH67CL Motherboard.

The Firewire, we have added with a PCI card.

We have two problems:

1. The sound card is detected, but no sound. In System Preferences -> Sound -> Sound efects: Mute appears activated and gray, and can not be disabled.

2. When trying to play with VLC (DVD player closes without playing), the video appears in black.

We appreciate all the help possible.

Thanks

We are very happy.

And everything works, except the sound card. Realtek ALC892.

We would appreciate any help possible.

Thaks

Try the latest iBoot- I just released it 3.0.3. It has an unreleased Chimera 1.4.0 that has a fix for Asrock, Intel, and MSI using the Vanilla kernel. Please post back if it works- should be available in MultiBeast soon. :thumbup:

tonymacx86 said:
It has an unreleased Chimera 1.4.0 that has a fix for Asrock, Intel, and MSI using the Vanilla kernel. Please post back if it works- should be available in MultiBeast soon. :thumbup:

Does that mean there will be no need to specify fsb and busratio in the future? The step over to the vanilla kernel would defintely be the final one to reach perfection :cool:

Robo2k said:
tonymacx86 said:
It has an unreleased Chimera 1.4.0 that has a fix for Asrock, Intel, and MSI using the Vanilla kernel. Please post back if it works- should be available in MultiBeast soon. :thumbup:

Does that mean there will be no need to specify fsb and busratio in the future? The step over to the vanilla kernel would defintely be the final one to reach perfection :cool:

Yes- vanilla goodness- no busratio bs or 32x limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back