Contribute
Register

Success! Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Mountain Lion Install!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I got everything up and running perfectly on my hackintosh!

My system specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
BIOS Version: UEFI 1c
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
RAM - 8GB 1600MHZ
Main Hard Drive - 256GBCrucial M4 SSD
Graphics: Nvidia GT220 1GB Ram

What Works:
EVERYTHING!
Including USB 3.0!!!
I have not come across an item that doesn't work!

First:
I made a Unibeast Install by following this guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Also download MultiBeast and stick on the root of the same flash drive you put the Unibeast Mountain Lion installation on AFTER you have done the Unibeast install to the flash drive. You can get MultiBeast from here - http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=139

Second:
I updated my BIOS, if you haven't already update your BIOS to the new UEFI BIOS then update it. This guide might not work for you if you don't. The new BIOS makes the system much faster. Here's a guide on how to do it, I used this guide and it worked flawlessly. (You need a windows machine in order to use this guide to update your BIOS to work, if you do not have access to a Windows machine you're going to have to Google how to update it from a Mac) - http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-working-dsdt-not-required-12.html#post413702
Also you must go to the Gigabyte site and download the new UEFI BIOS that's specifically for your board!

Third:
Boot from the Unibeast Flash Drive that has Mountain Lion on it. Select the Mountain Lion Installation.
Now for me, I had to boot the installation with PCIRootUID=0 at the Unibeast menu in order for the Installation to boot up successfully. It might be different for you, but if you get a black screen after the Apple Loading screen when selecting the Installation, use the PCIRoodUID=0 flag and it will solve your problem.

Fourth:
Once in the OS X Mountain Lion Installation, go to Disk Utility and select the Hard Drive that you want to install Mountain Lion on and Erase it. You want to start with a clean drive! After that, go and do the normal install, it'll take around 10 minutes.

Fifth:
After the install is done, reboot your computer.
Boot up from the Unibeast Flash Drive you created again. Don't boot the installation this time, boot the actual Mountain Lion Install.
Once again, you may have to use the PCIRootUID=0 flag again in order to get it to boot properly.
Go through the set-up screen, navigate to the Unibeast flash drive, find MultiBeast that you copied to it and copy it to your desktop.
Now because you updated your BIOS to the new UEFI BIOS you DO NOT need a DSDT :)
If you have this same motherboard select the same options that I selected in MultiBeast and you will have successful installation! Follow my screen shots attached to the bottom of this post for all the options you should check.

Note! Since I have an SSD I select the Trim option under Disk, if you have a regular hard drive this is not needed and you should not check it.
Note!! The last option you have to check, the SSDT Section. Make sure that YOU Select what YOUR processor is. Since mine is a Sandy Bridge Core i5 and it's overclocked, I selected the option that has the i5 overclock.
If you are not overclocked then select the standard i5 or i7 option.
If you have the new Ivy Bridge processor and not the Sandy Birdge Version then do not select anything in this section.

For System Profile you can choose whatever you want. Except MacPro 5,1. If you select this profiler you will get a kernel panic when booting and you will have to reinstall Mountain Lion!!!

Once you select all the options, click install, follow the prompts then reboot! Take out the Flash Drive and boot straight from your hard drive!
That's it!

Good luck!
If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll respond as quick as I can.
I spent a whole day getting Mountain Lion to work on my system and I must have reinstalled it around 10 times until I finally got it perfect so I most likely can help you with any issues you have.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 3.19.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 3.19.05 AM.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 2,708
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 3.19.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 3.19.24 AM.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,408
Hey- thanks so much for your post- it came right at the perfect time as I finally sat down to fix my hackintosh again. I've got the same motherboard as you and I'm running into an issue after installation.

OSX installs fine and I run and install MultiBeast according to your options. The first go around I copied your options exactly, and after rebooting, the little dial on the Apple boot-up screen just keeps spinning. So I've tried re-installing OSX several times, choosing different options in MultiBeast, and can't get it to boot properly after MultiBeast.

I'm doing a dual-boot with Windows 8 preview, and Windows works perfectly when chosen from the boot screen. I have both OS's installed on the same SSD drive.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 (with UEFI U1c BIOS)
Intel Core i7 2600
16gb memory (only have 4 installed during installation)
Zotak GTX550 TI ZT-50402-10L (Not installed during this whole process)
128gb Crucial M4 SSD

Is it possible my BIOS settings need adjusting? Not quite sure how to diagnose this one...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Why did you choose Patched AppleCPUPowerManagement? I have the same board, and did not install that. Everything seems to work just fine.

Boot Mountain Lion with the -v flag when you go to select it.

See where it's hanging up.

Post back when you find out, from there I can help you out!

I would get Kernel Panic if I didn't add select the Patched AppleCPUPowerManagement.

Are you running the new BIOS?

Hey, would you mind sharing your BIOS settings? I'm trying to overclock my MB too, but am having sleep issues (goes to sleep, takes a 6-7 times reboot session and opens at "Please fix your settings or whatever" window) when I try to.

First I couldn't activate Profile1 for XMP because of sleep issues unless I deactivate EHCI Hand-Off. Now that works fine without sleep issues, but overclocking is a no go at the moment, even with both XMP and EHCI Hand-Off deactivated and the correct SSDT profiles.

Don't know if this has anything to do with Performance Enhancement (I'm at Turbo currently) or other settings, but it would be helpful to know what others are using with the same MB and CPU.

I'm also dual booting off the same SSD. I have Mountain Lion and Windows 7 installed. So you dual booting shouldn't be the issue.

Under the SSDT section what option did you select?

Also, how is the Windows 8 Preview?

I've been curious to try it but haven't gotten around to it.

As soon as I get home (Around 9:30/10 tonight) I'll gather up all my BIOS settings and post them back on here

As soon as I get home (Around 9:30/10 tonight) I'll gather up all my BIOS settings and post them back on here

Thanks, much appreciated!

In the meantime I seem to have resolved the situation. I had set Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology to Enabled the first times I tried but with Auto it works very well. Am currently @ 42 41 40 39.

Thanks, much appreciated!

In the meantime I seem to have resolved the situation. I had set Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology to Enabled the first times I tried but with Auto it works very well. Am currently @ 42 41 40 39.

The Turbo Boost has been known to cause issues with overclocking on OSX and Windows. I always keep it off, the CPU does a good job on it's own with scaling down to lower frequencies when the CPU is not under a load and scaling up when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back